The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the deal with this plant? I'd like to know something about it, like it's origin or where it can be found in the wild, just anything in general. For some reason there tends not to be any useful search results when I google it. And our plant profiles page doesn't have much there either.

It's just odd to me, to not be able to Google up any useful info about something.

I have a single stem of it that got mixed in with a plant package I bought from someone here, and it's been growing into quite a beautiful little plant in a CO2-injected nano of mine.

Just curious for any anecdotal info about it. Thanks!

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
You are right, there is nothing to be found out there. Tex Gal has grown it quite a while, maybe she'll have information to share.

My experience with it is the following:

It is very brittle, which makes it a pain to plant with active fish.
It has a melting stage at times and then flourishes.
Even in low light, no co2 tanks, I have seen it grow well.
If you let a stem float with RCS, they'll have a great time 'rolling' it around the tank.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
easy plant to grow. Grows in basic water (7.4-7.8) under low light and no CO2. Incredibly brittle as sewingalot suggested and I have mine floating around as I have not really found a good method of planting it and keeping it in the substrate.

·
Registered
298 Posts
You will probably have a hard time reading the text in the link below. But there are a lot of pictures.

The area shown in the pictures is in the Brazilian state of Roraima. I don't know if that's where the Najas sp. "Roraima" originates from. But from the looks of some terrestrial plants it seems like the weird looking Najas would be right at home there:D

The dreamy plains shown in the pictures are usually wet and very slippery. Walking is very hard because the rocks are slippery wet everywhere. No vehicles. A medical helicopter could be called for about $8000 as I understand. So visiting those places is "at your own risk" an better don't sprain your ankle.

http://www.aquaportal.bg/forum/index.php/topic,1920.0.html

--Nikolay

·
Registered
298 Posts
I just started a tank with Najas sp. "Roraima" dominating the aquascape.

To hold down the fragile and unruly plant I used small rocks with twist ties wrapped around them. Each tie hooks over the stem of the Najas and keeps it down but not in the substrate. Basically small weights. Works just fine.

A problem with that Najas is that the fine leaves create a look that is too soft. You can see the details of the leaves only if you are very close.

Also I don't fertilize the tank and my light is on for only 3 or 4 hours a day. So the Najas tends to stretch up to the surface. But the bottom part of the stems stays nice. It does not deteriorate like many other stem plants.

--Nikolay

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll have to take some pics of mine. It looks like many of the pics in that thread you linked to above. All I did was shove the stem down into the substrate (3M color quartz) and it has never floated up. It is staying pretty low, though, and growing more horizontally than vertically.

It's also starting to show some blood red tips, it's very pretty!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Niko - I enjoyed that thread, (too bad I couldn't read it!). It's always a treat to see where these plants come from. Those were great pxs.

I've kept this plant for about a year or more now. It can be kept planted as Church just posted. It also can break off easily. In the right scape this can be a really cool looking plant. I'm redoing my 10g right now and I'm using this plant for a weird tree look. It grows well in a myriad of ph ranges. I have low ph in most of my tanks. I've never experienced the melt that Sewingalot refers to. I've had it stay green at times, and turn beautifully red on the ends. I'm not sure what causes it to do either.

I think this is the BEST plant for cycling a tank. It will eat the ammonia, won't shade the plants below much, and is easily removed. What's not to like? I always keep a piece tucked away somewhere, just in case I need some for something. :D

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
It melted when I first got it to almost nothing. I think it may have come from different water parameters. I am glad to hear it isn't common to happen.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I've had this plant for a while. ph doesn't seem to bother it. mid to low light will slow its growth to almost none or very very slow. With high light it doubles in no time. I do run CO2 and had in both light conditions. I do agree with Tex Gal that it is good at absorbing extra nutrients and ammonia. I've had it planted, but it never rooted and was difficult to keep in the substrate with the thin stem. I just float it now.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
When I ran CO2 in the tank with high light I had to trim the plant every week as it grew like a thunderstorm. When I planted it I burried it literally (make hole, take some substrate, hold plant in hole then fill it).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts