The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone kept this species before? I received five of them yesterday. They were pretty mellow in the evening, but this morning they were chasing each other around the tank, along with some of the other fish. They are reputed to be pretty peaceful (as long as they can't fit what they're dealing with in their mouth), so I'm not sure if this is territorial, aggressive, playful, or mating behavior. It didn't look like they were trying to hurt anything, so I'm not alarmed. Just trying to get a sense of their normal behavior.

They are supposed to be very similar to Mystus Vittatus (if not simply a variant), so if anyone has kept those, they can probably provide some insight.

I'm finding them very entertaining so far. They turned up their whiskered noses at algae wafers but ate bloodworms with gusto. So I'm thinking mostly meat eaters.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many algae wafers are shrimp or meat based... shop around
I have both. This was the algae based one because I wanted to see if that's what they would go for. Bloodworms and shrimp wafers were definitely preferred.

I'm just very curious because there's not much online about these guys. Even my unfishy husband thinks they're cool though.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
protein is king, even when fish are eating algae it is mostly to eat organisms or snails living on the algae. Algae itself has virtually no nutrient value to fish other than fibre and carbs (which they don't need).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.