The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For past several months my plants have not been doing well. I upgraded to a 90 gal. and for the first few months the plants were doing amazing. Now algae quickly covers plants and their growth is weak and stunted. I have IceCap Ballasts and am running 5 T-5s (3 10K and 2 6.7K) for at least 8 hrs/day as well as CO2 (although I run out of it quickly and sometimes it takes me a few days to get more). I do water changes about every 2 weeks and change anywhere from 20 to 50 gallons. Filter is an Eheim. I am in a hard water area and am using tap water. Thinking of going to RO/RI water, but I have read in some media that hard water should not impact plants that much, if at all. When I had a 45 gallon plants were growing like crazy. Hopefully pictures of tank and sick plant example are attached. Thanks for any ideas you can provide.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Use Flourish Comprehensive and Flourish Iron, plus have put plugs in several times over past 6+ monhts. Dose weekly. 2 cap fulls of Comprehensive and 1 of Iron. Was worried putting in more would give me more algae problems ...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! Is there a particular diffuser you would recommend, or is it jump up the volume regardless? Also, any thoughts if non-RO water could also be a factor (am on the fence about investing in such a system)?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, bought a paintball tank system. Will see if I can find much larger tanks that will allow CO2 to run without interruption as I cannot get back to CO2 store fast enough with the small tanks I have.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
You need to be dosing Nitrates (KNO3), 10 - 20 ppm, and Phosphates (KH2PO4) 1-2 ppm. You can get the dry fertilizers here.

http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizer.html

They say you get enough potassium from the KN03, but since you are defficent, it might be a good idea to dose potassium for a while to, you can use Flourish potassium or K2S04 from the link above.

If the T-5's you are running are T-5 HO's with good reflectors, you have way to much light. Turn at least 2 of them off. Your co2 has to be a very constant 30ppm or you will never have a balanced aquarium with those lights. Look at the second chart, here:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lighting/105774-par-vs-distance-t5-t12-pc.html

You also should be doing consitant 50% weekly water changes in hi tech tanks.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Most of us are using dry fertilizers, but there are other ways. Seachem has several different products (Flourish N, etc.) but you have to buy the whole line, and they are not only expensive, but very dilute. Over_stocked sells his own liquid line, as I believe does ADA.

The problem with bottles you buy at a pet store is that they are mostly water, so they run out quickly, and have to be dosed in much larger amounts. The Flourish comprehensive you have been using is a decent source of trace elements, but is far too light on nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorous.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Yes, bought a paintball tank system. Will see if I can find much larger tanks that will allow CO2 to run without interruption as I cannot get back to CO2 store fast enough with the small tanks I have.
Get a couple extra tanks, always try to keep one as a safety. Have one on the tank, one sitting in wait for when the other runs out. Try to keep a third in a case of emergency.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
A standard 75 gallon tank is only about 20 inches high. At 20 inches one T5HO bulb, with a good reflector, gives you about 60 micromols of PAR. That alone is too much light to use without having very good CO2, good fertilizing, good water circulation in the tank, good water surface ripple over the whole surface, etc. Since the tank is 18 inches front to back depth, one bulb can't do a very good job lighting the whole substrate, so running two widely separated bulbs works best - like the 2 outer bulbs of the 5 you now have. Then if you raise the light fixture 4-6 inches, you can reduce the intensity down to around 40 micromols, get very good uniformity of light intensity, good access for reaching into the tank daily to pick out dead leaves, other debris, fluff the plants, etc., and you will have far less difficulty with algae, and more wiggle room if you aren't a perfect tank maintainer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.