The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im pretty sure mystery snails are just apple snails with a different name, in which case yes many members have them in their planted tanks.
nah they are two completely diff species. The actual "apple" snail grows to the size of a baseball and is outlawed in TX (among other places)because they are consuming our rice-patties and farm lands....no way in hell would I put an actual apple snail in my tank, unless I wanted to commit tankicide! LOL!

I was just curious though as to mystery snails because they both lay eggs in an almost identical way, both have snorkels, etc...I just wanted to quadrouple check to be sure they are plant-tolerant. (A lil munching is expected, hey, theyre snails! LOL!):tongue:

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Actually, apple snails is just a name people throw around for these types of snails, according to shell. Mystery snails can very well be called apple snails, it's just that, it can be a little vague when you do call them that.

Because of such a general name, "Apple Snail," it can include many different species, such as the baseball sized snail you mentioned. There are "dwarf" apple snails too, such as the spixi.

In any case, to answer your question, yes, people do keep mystery snails (P. Bridgesii/Diffusa) in planted tanks. I personally avoid them because they get rather large and I don't find them too attractive but... that's just a matter of opinion. If you like em, go for it.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I keep golden mystery snails, which get to be a bit over 1". They do very poorly in my high tech tank with DIY CO2. The pH is around 6.6 (8.1 without cO2), and I think the acidic water may be eating their shells. I've just added cuttlebone, so hopefully this well help.

They seem to do better in my low tech tanks. I originally had two, which had about 100 babies a year ago before dying, but now I'm down to about a 12. Most of the ones I lost were in the high tech tank when they were still less than pea size.

With regard to plants, they do fine, and I've never seen them eating the plants, but they will eat decaying leaves.

·
Registered
346 Posts
i have purchase 2 black and 2 gold apple snail, few day ago. Black seem not munching on moss but golden munching on moss. i have keep my moss about 3 month and grow about 2" long.. so mad they eat my moss.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've had the Bridgesii kind and they never munched on anything, including my moss. It depends on which species you get. One of the apple snail varieties is also illegal to trade/sell in FL because they're eating the wildlife vegetation. I currently have a blue and an ivory in my planted tanks and I've had no plant loss from them. They do eat dead/dying vegetation though.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've had the standard run of the mill mystery snails from time to time. I always ended up with blue or ivory shelled ones and never kept more than one per tank.
FYI, I've never seen any of them eating live plants but none of them have ever been heavy algae eaters either. There are many snail species that are sold under the mystery snail label.

**sweet I'm not the only one that liked the blue and ivory ones best. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.