The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have mystery snails on the way.
My ph is around 6.7-6.8 more or less
I want them to thrive, so thought of adding something like cuttlebone.
On the flip side, cuttlebone can raise water hardness and my PRL shrimp may not like it.

Any thoughts? experience?

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Having heard how finicky PRL shrimp can be, that pH seems rather high for them.

Do you have another tank you keep keep the snails in?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had the PRLs for two months now. The Water is at 6.8 and for some time it was a little above 7. (cianobacteria treatment).
I had no problems, molting is fine, and I have a female carrying. If it is not broken don't fix it :)

I am not worried about the shrimp, they grew very fast, from small to very big, and are doing very well and very active

I want the cure snails to make it

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
I guess if the offspring hatch and survive to adult-hood and then reproduce themselves then the shrimp are fine.

I would not say some successful molts or a berried female would be a sign of success... but rather, whether or not their offspring can not only make it to adult-hood but also reproduce themselves. That is, the colony keeps expanding.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree

But I am not new to shrimp
In 2009-2010 when I was in the hobby (left for ten years), I kept yellow backs, cherries, black crystals and OEBT, and green babaulti.
My water was VERY hard then. The crystals did breed slowly but filled the tank within half a year.

I am a bit skeptical on some of the "knowledge". I know people in other countries keeping PRLs at almost 7.4-7.5 and having no issues.
There are many other factors to consider and hard to say what is what.
Same PH is not the same water, and even same hardness

1 - 5 of 5 Posts