The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I caught her in the act just about 4am this morning. The other two aquariums seemed to be ruled by the same timing. I now have three clutches of eggs, all white and fresh looking when I get up around 4am. The one below is from two gold inca snails, one is from two pink/magenta/albino snails and another is the product of two purples or a blue and purple or two blue snails - not sure on that one. Some time after they're color coded in their own aquariums I can be more certain of that group. The problems of not being properly set up for planning.

The idea is to try and breed true'er' coloring/striping through separation of colors. If anyone else is interested in swapping snails in the future to try this out and keep the gene pool fresh, I'd be interested. Right now, first gen from gold/gold, magenta/magenta and not sure (purple/purple, blue/purple or blue/blue). I would like to get dark purple/dark purple producing dark purple and then use the dark purple babies to see if the color becomes consistent or somewhat predictable - if that makes sense.

Attachments

·
Registered
651 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
I think it depends on the snail. Snails that look the same can have different genes.

I only got yellow babies from yellow parents, and ivory babies from ivory parents, but it seems other people have had different experiences.

I suspect that these days, breeders just throw them all together and sort out the offspring later.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I meant the pro breeders, who supply pet stores and the like.

Hobbyists, I'm sure, are very interested in getting snails that breed true. I'll be interested to see your results.

I don't breed them any more, but I really like the critters. Mine always used to lay their eggs under the glass canopy of the tank. If they chose a spot that wasn't under the light, I could leave them there, and they would hatch.

If they chose a spot under the light fixture (mine always laid at night, when the light was off), the eggs would dry out if I left them there. If I wanted to save them, I would scrape them off with a razor blade, then put them in a gallon jar of water. I would use a piece of netting (like from an onion bag) to suspend the eggs above the water and put the lid on. That would keep the eggs moist but not drown the babies. Eventually they would hatch and fall into the water. You can actually raise them in the jar for awhile (I did water changes with a turkey baster).

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yesterday was hatching day and the big musical aquarium day. Large snails were moved to new set up aquariums seeded with the prior home filter and prime treated.

Pictures are awful. The lighting is pretty bad, so maybe I'll take another picture in the evening after the aquarium lights boot up. So many people have great pics of their vase nanos and I never really like the images I get - they don't look nearly as nice as the real things.

This is part of the aesthetically appealing inverteponics project. We're going to try sprouting some herbal cuttings like basil, thyme, oregano, etc. I'm not sure mediterranean plants would be really compatible with this idea... can't hurt to try. Arrowheads were all started from one plant - once they get some nice growth it should make the aquariums look really nice.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.