The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay I'm going to apologize in advance. I'm not very knowledgeable about mystery snail anatomy so I might be about to embarrass my self tremendously.

So I've had this snail for about a week and today I noticed a white worm looking thing coming out of its "vent"(the part they poop out of). It's extremely skinny and tapered to a point. It looks a lot like the snails antennae. It moved around and would come out more or less. At its longest it was ~1/2". Sorry for the bad picture I only have my cell phone. It's the little curved white thing. Its not very far out at all in the pic.

I can find very little information on snail parasites and nothing that matches the description. So idk. If it is a parasite is there anything I can do about it? A medication that won't hurt or kill the snail? Or is it something else?

I also want to note that I'm pretty sure this snail is a male and I've seen his eh reproductive organ so I feel like I know what that looks like. Though they can change the shape of everything else so maybe they can change that too.

I took a second picture, it's out quite far you can see it from the back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked it up its not a hydra, it doesn't branch in any way. Its completely smooth and white with no segments that I can see. It kinda twists it's self around in spirals. :\ Thank you for the suggestion though.

And oh no I know about the breathing organ. I only really mentioned the male part because I've read forum posts with people freaking out about "the worm on their snail" and people replying "hah! that's the penis". I didn't think I was making the same mistake but wasn't sure. I saw the reproductive organ shortly after he mated with my other snail, who I've had for around 6 months. It doesn't look much the same with what I'm describing except the color (both white). But like I said maybe it changes shape?

Photo of the male organ for comparison, photo doesn't belong to me and is from this website http://www.applesnail.net/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19379

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry I posted a longer reply but it didn't post. It's not a hydra, it has no branches. It's completely smooth and white. It kinda twists itself around in a spirals.

When I saw his penis before it looked like this picture(from this forum post B]photo is not mine[/B])

the thing I'm talking about is much skinnier, pointed and is out all the time. It also is coming out of the hole on the snail's right which I thought the penis comes from more above the head. Though maybe I'm wrong. Does it change shape?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts