The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got small plants emerging from my Bright Sand. Too small and nondescript to actually make an identification. One's got that shape of a new emergent crypt leaf, the other doesn't look aquatic at all, it has two small leaves on a very very thin stem.

Anyone else had this happen? Any theories? Best I can think of is that since Bright Sand is collected in Japan, maybe it has seeds from the stream bed.

·
Registered
705 Posts
i had a friend who owened a bird and a tank and they where side by side they noticed hairgrass type things sprouting from the ground it turned out the be the bird was flicking its food at the aquarium and the seeds where germinating inside the tank ;)

·
Registered
888 Posts
i had a friend who owened a bird and a tank and they where side by side they noticed hairgrass type things sprouting from the ground it turned out the be the bird was flicking its food at the aquarium and the seeds where germinating inside the tank ;)
The ones called 'birdseeds'?:hihi: I had budgies before and the cage is near my pond. My pond has several sprouts from the 'birdseeds'.:icon_eek:

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
What plants are in there now?
if ther's any kind of crypt in there, it may have shot a runner. mine shoots runners across my ten.

·
Registered
384 Posts
When I set up my 45g I had elatinae triandra literally pop out of the rocks and eco complete. The strange thing about it is that I hadn't had this plant in months... and the rocks that it popped out of had never been used submersed before. There must have been seeds laying dormant in some old eco complete.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I've had sprouts pop out from old bits of crypt roots left in the gravel. Did you ever have a crypt in or near that spot?

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually, I do have quite a few crypts in the tank, but it's a very recent setup. I believe this one was set up on the 23rd of January.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
That's probally long enough for a healthy crypt.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's probally long enough for a healthy crypt.
I really don't think so. Less than one month to go about 8 inches away from the nearest crypt, in a divided substrate? Understand that I have low driftwood dividing the sand and aquasoil areas. It would have to go through the AS, under a piece of driftwood, and through bright sand.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts