The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, looking for second opinions on the ID of a mystery plant that came in with one of my online orders.

They're a little banged up from shipping in an un-padded envelope, but seem to be perking up after 24hrs in the tank. They are a lot more pink in person than in the pics (similar to the color on rotala H'ra or macranda); my phone camera doesn't seem to like the tank light much.

Based on the stock list for the company, my best guess is rotala rotundifolia (one of the few popular rotala I've never had), but they also sell a few others with pictures that look similar enough as well, including nesaea crassicaulis, diandra didipilis, and ludwigia needle leaf, all of which I've also never tried.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Registered
298 Posts
Looks like one of the Rotala's. I've had Nesaea spp. before, and their leaves were thicker/meatier (or at least that's how I remember them compared to Rotata rotundifolia...but it's been 10 years). Didiplis diandra is a smaller plant...smaller leaves in general, and greener with yellow tints (but again, that was a decade ago).

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After a week in the tank, it's put out several new sets of leaves. I'm pretty sure my first guess, rotala rotundifolia, was correct, but now I have a new question about the same plant.

Why is the length of internodes substantially shorter on the new growth. The stems have between 1/2" and 1" (depending on which stem) between sets of leaves, but the new growth is like 1/16" to 1/4". The change in distance between nodes is not gradual from lower stem to tip; it is very abrupt and is distinct to the new growth that was produced after it was placed in the tank.

If you compare this to the first pic, you can see the difference pretty easily, especially in the stem on the right.

The tips are also leafing out proportionately wider than the old growth.

I know the change is due to different conditions in my tank than in the one it came from, but I don't know what the difference is that specifically triggered it.

I'm ok with the change, in fact I actually prefer the compact growth. I just want to know why so I can maintain it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.