The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got this plant at the end of May, it was initially propagating easily from trimmings about 1.5" tall. Since then it's slowly losing color and I've become convinced much of it is dead. It was not identified at the store it came from so we don't know if we are not caring for it properly or what it should look like when healthy.

A week after purchase

A month later. Note it is thinning out considerably in some stems, and occasionally we have removed a stem to check its health and found it has no roots. The crypts and the sword in the above pictured tank are growing well.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Maybe go through the pictures on a big company like tropica and see if you can match it up. One of the needle leafed rotalas or mayaca maybe?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hm, I really think it looks like Elodea/Anacharis. Weird thing is I stopped by the store it came from and showed them the photo, they thought it looked like Myriophyllum. I'm not sure if I should remove it from the tank or keep hoping for it to spring back. The shrimp love it...

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
That's a Mayaca for sure. Not sure based on the state of it if it's fluviatilis or sellowiana (leaning toward the second one).

Mayaca are iron hogs and good indicators that the tank doesn't have enough. You don't say if you're fertilizing or not. A Flourish Tab might help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not, I use plain sand or plain gravel substrates and no fertilizers. I tried to get into more advanced care but haven't had the time to make sure I do it right. I got a bottle of Flourish Excel a few months ago but had some algae blooms after I started treatment in two tanks. May have been the tanks were too young (was less than six months at that time) but I thought more likely I did not have enough experience yet. Perhaps this is a good time to start.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Definitely a good time to start.

Using mineralized soild with osmocote+ and Flourish tabs is an easy way to fertilize that keeps things pretty clean. And a pressurized co2 setup will save you money over the long run and make things much easier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts