The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK folks, solve this one. I have a 55 long with the following equipment.

-Suspended tek light
-Eheim canister filter
-Inline hydor heater
-Inline CO2 reactor
-CO2 cylinder with regulator
-HOT Magnum

I came home today to find an oil slick on top of my aquarium. Now, there is one thing that i think might have caused it, an ******* roommate who moved out today. This roommate happened to play french horn, and the oil smelled suspiciously like french horn oil (my father is a juliard french hornist, so i've grown up with it). However, that might just be my mind. There are no sources or tracks of oil that i can see going into it. I blotted up and sucked out as much as i could. I don't really know how this will affect the tank, i guess we'll just have to see. My question is, do any of the above devices contail oil? For instance the canister filter motor housings? I took the HOT magnum aparts, but found no evidence of leaking. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
-Suspended tek light - no.
-Eheim canister filter - in the motor unit, possibly, but if it leaked oil, it might not be running anymore.
-Inline hydor heater - no.
-Inline CO2 reactor - no.
-CO2 cylinder with regulator - what do you use in your bubble counter? Mineral oil? Maybe it's from here.

What's good is that oil is lighter than oil. Just keep skimming the top off with a python. That'll get most of it. Turn off all your pumps and whatnot to prevent more oil from trying to mix into the water. Skim off as much oil as you can, then do a 50% WC. Wait a few more days, then do 30%.

If it was french horn oil, it's not toxic so I don't think you have anything to worry about with regards to your livestock. As to what caused it...I haven't the slightest idea. I doubt it's your equipment.
-HOT Magnum

·
Registered
845 Posts
No no...Fez and Hyde had the best idea! (That 70s Show) Put a dead fish in his hub cap or slip it inside a seat cushion (deep) or in the back trunk under the carpet. You could also double the fun with hiding eggs in there too!! Put lil smiles on the eggs and bunny ears. He'll think you meant to wish him Happy Easter! LOL It is coming soon.:icon_twis

·
Got wood???
1,094 Posts
Nothing that you mentioned can leach oil into the water column. Your CO2 regulator might have trace amounts of oil on the valve / regulator threads, but doubtfullly could ever get to your tank. Your filter wouldn't do it either.

A couple of big water changes and a good wipe down should solve this problem.

My fav is wiring the horn to the brake lights. Takes a little know how, but is worth the effort.

·
Banned
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Why has no one thought about a bacterial bloom? A bacterial bloom can leave an oil like slick on the surface of your aquarium.
Its not that, it actually is oil, normal film is just that, a film. This stuff stays on my hands and has a very strong smell.

·
Banned
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well i figured it out. Its the CO2 system. I turned it off while trying to fix the problem, cleaned the oil off, and then restarted today and saw oil come out. What gives?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.