The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

There are many congos inside my 260gal tank, some are more than one year old since introduced, some others are within 4-5 months.

I find that after 2 days of not paying attention to my tank (just short visits for feeding) All my small congos are missing. No trace of dead body in the tank (probably due to the tank carrion eaters). A day later, a medium sized congo went unbalance, swimming like drunken guy and later the evening I found that one died. stuck between leaves. A day after, one more congo died from the same symptoms, dancing wildly like losing consiousness/balance. No signs of wound, no visible damage. The appetite of these fish are strong prior to death, they move and react very well also.

I'm still puzzled... and I fear for the remaining bigger congos in the tank.
I strongly suspect it is a form of virus which attack only congos or the likes, and whatever it is, the attack is swift and acute. All my other fish are OK with no casualty.

·
Registered
888 Posts
What are the other fish in your tank? Also water parameters? It may help.:smile:

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Other fauna :
- rasbora hengeli
- rasbora harlequin
- puntius denisonii
- rainbow shark
- chinese algae eater
- cherry shrimp
- clown loach
- red nose tetra
- ghost shrimp

None of these creature died from the same symptoms.
The congos suffer what I can describe as swirling before they die. The attacks were acute and fatal with no pre symptoms. I have lost 7 congos of different batch from the same cause.

Water parameter is like usual :
10-20ppm N
1-2 ppm P
20-30ppm K
kH 8
gH 10
CO2 6-7 bps

·
Registered
722 Posts
Ive had this happen in one of my tanks...the swirling dance of death :icon_frow
my fish seemed to be have some kind of bacterial infection.......
i treated the water with anti bacterial powder and fed medicated fish food...
but before i treated i did lose a number of fish :mad:

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So... the best guess would be bacterial infection, so antibiotic treatment is recommended.

What kind of antibiotic is better suited for this and at what concentration?
How about the mixture with the fish food?

·
Registered
722 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts