The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this little guy at wal-mart from the "mixed african cichlids" tank. I think he is cool because he is shorter and fatter than all the cichlids I have seen that are like him. I was wondering if anyone with cichlid experience could give me an idea of what he is. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
"Peacock" cichlids will interbreed between species until there is no telling what sort of hybrid you have. Most likely this is a peacock hybrid mutt. Still a great fish though - looks like it has a lot of personality!

(that's why Petsmart sells them as "mixed" - even THEY don't know what they have anymore!)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would peacocks interbreed with other cichlid species? Because this one has many features that resemble my zebras and other similar species.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Most cichlids will interbreed, if it's a mouthbrooder, it can interbreed with a mouthbrooder. i have a Dimidichromis compressiseps cross breed with Labidochromis caueralus on a regular basis, none of the fry live longer than a month though.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do any of you have an idea of what type of cichlid may have interbred to create such a stubby fish? He is really a full inch shorter than my other cichlids of similar body size/maturity.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
looks like melanochromis auratus and a peacock, no way to tell for sure i'm afraid.

·
Registered
223 Posts
As a matter of fact, I do not believe it has any peackock in it. I know it may still be interbread, but really, it doesn't show any peacock colors,figures, ect.

To me it looks like M. auratus ... http://www.cichlidforum.com/profiles/species.php?id=750

It seems to be a female at this point, but if it is still small, it could turn out to be a male. The males tend to be black bodied with white stripes, while the female are more yellowish with black stripes as seen in the picture above. Granted, it could still have other genes in him/her, but I think we can safely identify this as Melanochromis auratus

EDIT: After going to the link, you can change the image shown by clicking the dropbox and then selecting female or another image!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I've had m. auratus, the stripes are very defined, unless it is a changing male turning to black. but how big is it?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I could be wrong, but a "true" Peacock Cichlid, Cichlia Ocellaris, won't/can't interbreed with any of the Africans. It's a BIG river fish from South America. Africans are lake fish from...Africa.

Tommy <9))>>{

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Actually It could be Black White Johanii (Melanochromis perileucos). But could be an Auratus...

Is it very active?? Aggressive? If it is, then that is where i would put my money. Peacock is always a fall back since a majority of them are Hybrids, and a store like PetCo wouldn't be the wiser. But most "assorted African" setups in these stores will house many species since alot of Africans are Dimorphic, thus as Juveniles they are hard to identify since true color and sex are not established.

give it a few more months and watch to see if it colors up more.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I could be wrong, but a "true" Peacock Cichlid, Cichlia Ocellaris, won't/can't interbreed with any of the Africans. It's a BIG river fish from South America. Africans are lake fish from...Africa.

Tommy <9))>>{
We're talking about african cichlids under the genus "Aulonocara". The common name for the genus is peacocks. and these can and do interbreed with other mouthbrooders.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.