The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, I just signed up today, April 30, 2016.:smile2: Anyway, I have a 30 gallon tank, with about 1 3/4 inches between the top and the
water. The black mystery snail i noticed died a few days ago, maybe the same time as the baby was born. The baby looks the same as the black mystery snail. I have a golden mystery snail in my tank too. I heard mystery snails lay eggs on land, but there is only 1 3/4 inches of land. I also heard that they lay eggs in pretty big clusters. So, my questions are, how did I get this baby with so little land and will there be more? There is no signs of any eggs ever being layed. I check every day on the top of the tank. Also, is it okay just to let mystery snails feed off fish flakes that fall? I tried lettuce, but it floats.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Yeah, mystery/apple snails lay huge clusters of eggs above water. Look at some pics of mystery snail egg clusters so you know what they look like. Pretty hard to not notice those things. The don't need flat land to lay them on, it can be the tank side wall or under the tank lid, just as long as it's above water and keeps in moisture/humidity to keep the eggs from drying out. Bit strange only one would be born. Maybe others are hiding? Or some fish ate the others?

Mystery snails do require a male and female to have offspring, so if you only have the golden now and just this one baby, the two would have to be opposite sexes to have more offspring (baby snail would need to mature).

The snails are scavengers so they will eat anything, the fish flakes are fine. I don't remember if mystery snails can walk/swim across the water surface to get to floating food. But if the lettuce piece is floating against a side wall, the snail can climb up the wall and reach for the lettuce. You can weigh the veggies down though to keep them from floating.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I would bet that there are more. But sometimes not all the eggs in a cluster hatch.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I have been having an explosion of ramshorn snails in the tanks I feed with green water from outside.
Maybe something you can consider if you want to try and breed them in a bowl or something.
The algae and plankton in the water settles on the bottom over time and the fish and snails love it. Especially the corydoras as they often find larvae that got into the tank while still microscopic.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.