The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One problem solved, another problem appears!

For about 2 months now I have stopped injecting CO2 into my tank because it caused my pH to crash. Now that I figured out the problem (kH, which was close to 0), I can start injecting CO2 again.

I delayed a little bit in injecting CO2 after I remedied my kH, but recently I started noticing spiderweb-like algae growing on my java fernlings. The ferns died. Then the mother plant started growing this algae, and now some of my stem plants have it: Ludwigia repens, I believe, and some other plant I cannot identify.

I am afraid that this algae is going to spread and kill all of my plants! It's almost like the algae is a parasite. What the heck is this stuff?

Also another question that I have, is why do all of the red plants that I buy turn green? All the old leaves are a beautiful red color, but the new growth is green.

I think I might know the answer, and that's CO2 injection, but I just want to make sure that I have it right and that I'm not missing something.

Tank Specs:
- 10 Gallon
- 77-78 degrees F
- dKH ~ 6
- dGH ~ 0-1 (can't tell with titration method)
- pH 7.4
- a Hagen CO2 yeast bottle with the ladder (what I used to use for CO2 and just started back up again last night)
-18" Marineland double bright LED fixture
- Tetra Whisper PF10
- dosing: Seachem Flourish (micros), Flourish Excel, API Leaf Zone (iron and potassium)

Plants:
- *java fern
- *Ludwigia repens
- Ludwigia brevipes (? I think)
- *something that looks like hornwort
- Lindernia rotundifolia (baby tears)
- Bacopa monnieri (moneywort)
- Hydrocotyle leucocephala (Brazilian pennywort)
- *a stem plant that I think might be a Rotala species (the leaves keep breaking off as described here)

Fishies:
- 5 neon tetras
- 1 cardinal that thinks he's a neon, leftover from the apocalypse
- 1 female betta that has also survived the apocalypse

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
Gnomecatcher said:
Also another question that I have, is why do all of the red plants that I buy turn green? All the old leaves are a beautiful red color, but the new growth is green.
You need better lighting to achieve the redness of red plants. I have bought plants online before where the picture of the plant was red and when I received them they were green. After a few weeks in the tank with the correct substrate, lighting and CO2 combinations they went red ;)

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need better lighting to achieve the redness of red plants. I have bought plants online before where the picture of the plant was red and when I received them they were green. After a few weeks in the tank with the correct substrate, lighting and CO2 combinations they went red ;)

Darn! Okay. Maybe I'll hold off buying red plants, then.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I've never kept java ferns, but I've heard that all the existing leaves can die off if water conditions change enough. Changing the KH from near 0 to 6 might have been enough to cause that to happen.

So it may not be the fuzz algae that "killed" your ferns. It simply recognized the dying leaves as an easy meal.

Trim off the dead leaves. The mother rhizome should hopefully produce new leaves. Not sure if the fernlings are old enough to pull off such a recovery, and it looks like you might have buried their rhizomes in the substrate; which I also hear is a no-no.

The CO2 should soon help with the algae on other plants, but don't let it gain too much of a foothold. Remove it manually, trim, or perform H2O2/Excel spot treatments.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
The Java fernlets are planted in the substrate? I think it is rot, JF isn't supposed to be planted in the substrate. My Marsilea has died in specific locations, I remove the affected plants and replant. So far that has done the trick.

If you don't have wood for the JF try gently attaching the babies to pebbles with rubber bands or gel super glue or thread.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.