The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I started medicating my 10-gallon tank with Melafix for a week and on the last day, one of the Cory developed red splotches early that morning, started racing around the tank, and then dropped dead later that evening.
I wasn't worried about the others until yesterday when I saw that two of the other cories started rushing around the tank. They don't appear to have any markings like the other but it is concerning.

The PH is around 6.9
Ammonia is 0
Nitrites are 0
Nitrates are around 15

Stock:
Cory Catfish - 5
Green Jade Shrimp - 5
Carbon Rili Shrimp - 1
Japanese Trapdoor Snail - 2 (adults)

I've had a little bloom of rhabdocoela but I had always read that they were harmless. No issues among the invertebrates, only the fish. The tank is fully planted with anubius, various crypts, Christmas moss, some Bacopa, and a moss ball. It's almost 5 months old.

·
Registered
910 Posts
How's the weather where you are? Mine always get excited when a good storm front moves through. They can detect storm fronts as that is the typical signal for the beginning of the breeding season where they come from. That and/or a temperature drop will usually induce some spawning behavior.

·
Premium Member
5,704 Posts
So I started medicating my 10-gallon tank with Melafix for a week and on the last day, one of the Cory developed red splotches early that morning, started racing around the tank, and then dropped dead later that evening.
I wasn't worried about the others until yesterday when I saw that two of the other cories started rushing around the tank. They don't appear to have any markings like the other but it is concerning.

The PH is around 6.9
Ammonia is 0
Nitrites are 0
Nitrates are around 15

Stock:
Cory Catfish - 5
Green Jade Shrimp - 5
Carbon Rili Shrimp - 1
Japanese Trapdoor Snail - 2 (adults)

I've had a little bloom of rhabdocoela but I had always read that they were harmless. No issues among the invertebrates, only the fish. The tank is fully planted with anubius, various crypts, Christmas moss, some Bacopa, and a moss ball. It's almost 5 months old.
What kind of substrate do you have?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What kind of substrate do you have?
It's Eco Complete gravel but I made sure it was ground down before putting it in, maybe a bit bigger than CaribSea sand. The spots didn't like cuts or abrasions, they seemed internal.

Bump:
How's the weather where you are? Mine always get excited when a good storm front moves through. They can detect storm fronts as that is the typical signal for the beginning of the breeding season where they come from. That and/or a temperature drop will usually induce some spawning behavior.
I've heard about that, although they don't seem very interested in one another, just frantic. And the last storm was two weeks or so ago, and it was an ice storm. No incoming fronts or storms that I know about. But maybe they are, I'll keep an eye out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts