The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen some posting of peoples tanks that failed and ended up with a living room full of water, with no one getting hurt except the fish and the owners heart.

Does anyone know of any catastrophic failures that lead to injury?

My worse fear in my 6 month old is going to walking pretty soon and start putting his fingers between the glass and the tank stand and somehow weaken the stand/fish tank and have it come tumbling down? Has anyone ever heard of any horror stories?

·
Registered
663 Posts
What size is your tank?

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
No horror stories here, but plenty of little kids around. They get yelled at for getting to close, any hand that ventures near the aquarium gets smacked. That should teach them pretty quickly.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I have a generally high stand for my 55 and my daughter is getting used to using here eyes and not her hands.

She's two years seven months. She isn't usually interested in it till I get my arms into it. Then she has to be reminded "no touch".

Teach them to respect your things and you'll be fine. Just don't let them have a hammer without supervision. :wink: Keep the pens up high! Just had to clean our couch again after my wife found her with a ball point in the living room. :)

So thankfully there has been no issues with the tank. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I think the biggest risk is the plumbing and stuff. Be sure to childproof the door to the cabinet and that all cords and things can't be reached.

I am paranoid--I did remove my indoor pond when the kid got mobile, so I'm not a slacker parent or anything--but tanks are pretty stable, and if they aren't, you should probably fix that quick!

You can always set up a gated area around your tank, which might help the kid to learn what not to touch. You're going to be buying a lot of child gates anyway... :)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
We still have a plastic fence around the TV stand packed with the amp, DVD, VCR, DVR, ect ect... It will take time till the no touch thing is understood 100% by your little angel. :)

:angel: Or is that Beast. :angel:

The plumbing is another good thing to protect. Equipment has a gravitational force that pulls my daughter to it. So since it was an open frame config. before a skirt of 3/4 oak plywood keeps her back from the gear these days.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
For sure do whatever it takes to make it safe. Build a bigger stand (wider) which will give a lower center of gravity and reinforce with 2x2 or 2x4 if necessary. Absolutely rig with GFCI outlet and appropriate locks. Don't you have a 125 gallon? That would be a chore, for sure.

That said, I had an 20 gallon on a homemade pine stand since my son was two - without any problem at all. He would just wander up and look at the fish occasionally.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My tank is a 120 Gallong 48 x 24 x 24, so it will make a big bang and a big crash. I was thinking of "beefing" up the stand. I dont' know what the average life span is for a tank or a stand, the system is 3 yrs old now. I'm not so worried about the electical or the plumbing, the outlets are behind the tank and I have kid proofed the doors already. Thanks for the advise!!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I like that :hihi: , that's cute!
She better get the mechanical engineering degree I should have have completed. But were way off from that stage at the moment. But she has Daddy's need to understand how things work for sure. Unfortunately for her it's a little dangerous at this stage. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts