The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
LOL! Love it! ... In this case, I am the wife and I am the one with the hobby making the mess and staring at the fish sites. LOL! My husband just goes and gets his laptop, puts in his ear phones, and plays computer games while I obsess about water parameters. ... Oh, and that's on "fish only" tanks. I no longer even attempt to keep planted tanks!

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Buy her a cheap netbook/laptop (or go 50/50) capable of doing whatever work she needs to do. Also, can't tell you how many times I've heard that dirty house thing from my mother but I've learned to just clean all my filtration in the bathtub (for easy cleaning), soak if needed in the kitchen sink (easy cleaning) and use those office-style 5g water jugs for water changes so I can cap them on the way out the door = no spills. A python would probably make my life a lot easier, though. :hihi: Maybe you should get her involved in the hobby as well...maybe buy her a small tank or something and set it up for her as a gift. Hopefully she'll have a better understanding of maintenance needs once her tank goes south due to lack thereof. :hihi:

·
Registered
529 Posts
Maybe you should get her involved in the hobby as well...maybe buy her a small tank or something and set it up for her as a gift. Hopefully she'll have a better understanding of maintenance needs once her tank goes south due to lack thereof. :hihi:
I'm blowing the whistle - that's enabling multiple tank syndrome! LOL!

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Haha. I actually asked my mom yesterday if she'd like to have a tank in the living room if I maintained it. She declined. :( Also, the idea I posted previously was that it would be HER tank, hopefully not another one for him to take over and succumb to MTS. :hihi:

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
My wife of 29 years has had little interest in the hobby for years. With SW it was fine as long as it was fish only. Now with the planted FW her interest is still in the fish. She got nothing from the tank for 4 years until I went from all small fish to angels.

Angels spawned a couple weeks ago and I set up a 10g in the garage to hatch/raise them. Now she's in the garage helping me do the WC's and feeding them during the day. I guess all I needed to do is have some babies for her to make use of her instincts.

Runs for cover

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
My wife of 29 years has had little interest in the hobby for years. She got nothing from the tank for 4 years until I went from all small fish to angels.

Angels spawned a couple weeks ago,,,,,

LMAO! AND EXACTLY IT!!

ah! oh my! tiny tiny! they are sooo cute!

I went from one tank with my hobby causing only casual amusement and passing interest to now her emailing me when someone at her office offers anything tank related for sale or she see's a tank for sale in her travels.

At home she will see spawning behavior before I do telling me what fish are pairing LOL. She mixes and feeds BBS and has no complaints regarding going from one system to what other non tankers have termed an 'enormous' number of tanks. :smile:

hehe Lord luv a baby fish hehe

EDIT: and baby fish eating BBS is exactly where the idea for PacMan came from LOL

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
I just keep a loaded Beretta on the desk and she leaves me alone, how long have you been married and how old are you?

You might want to buy her a little tank and let her get some shrimp, fissedens, and other little things to get her into it, or atleast her own laptop! No matter you'll still have to clean the filter for her "I'm not putting my hands in that fish poo".

I took my wife to a swap meet last week, plants, fish, etc. for 5 hours, she said that was interesting but next month you'll be going alone, fine by me I can spend more when she's not looking!

·
Registered
437 Posts
buy her a cheap netbook/laptop (or go 50/50) capable of doing whatever work she needs to do. Also, can't tell you how many times i've heard that dirty house thing from my mother but i've learned to just clean all my filtration in the bathtub (for easy cleaning), soak if needed in the kitchen sink (easy cleaning) and use those office-style 5g water jugs for water changes so i can cap them on the way out the door = no spills. A python would probably make my life a lot easier, though. :hihi: Maybe you should get her involved in the hobby as well...maybe buy her a small tank or something and set it up for her as a gift. Hopefully she'll have a better understanding of maintenance needs once her tank goes south due to lack thereof. :hihi:
+1.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Take her to dinner. Let her talk about her day. Give her some compliments. Treat her like you cherish her.

Make it a regular habit.

;)
you mean the ******* dating handbook was wrong?
GEEZ! it said after the ink was dry you could go back to drinking beer watching NASCAR and football all weekend,,, you mean the author lied?

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
It gets easier as you get older and as the anniversaries pass by, it's been 24 years and we just curse at each other as we pass in the hall.
reading this I almost committed a beer violation all over the keyboard.

but it sounds like my older brothers house LOl

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.