The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my birthday is coming up and my wife decided to give me a full wall in our home for aquariums!.The only condition she gave me was that it has to match the decor and wires and such had to be managed.

Before this, she only allowed me 1 tank, my 29g.

I started to work on my craigslist end tables I picked up a while back when setting up my 29g. They were cheap and sturdy and fit my 29g perfectly. I removed the bottom 2 drawers and gutted the inside of the stands out.

I did this for both stands as they will be the exact same identical setups on each side of the chair (29 gallons). I still need to attach together the drawer faces and add some hinges for easier access, but for now the faces slide firmly into place.

Best thing about this is if I ever feel like it, I can move up to a 200 gallon in the amount of space allotted to me. It's sad how whipped I am, but I am still happy.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
YAY! I'd be in trouble if hub limited me to a wall... He has issues telling me no........

I LOVE those stands!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Wow, that's nice she allowed you, does she allows herself to buy something as well? I would get the biggest tank possible.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Massively whipped..... the wife authorized one... I have 5 right now. 4 of them are the necessary support for the 1 large 125 she authorized. Got to know how to leverage it correctly.

"If you want a nice pretty big tank, I need smaller growout/qt tanks to support it."

Nice stand BTW very nice way to hide all of the equipment.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I like how you did the stands. Very nice!

But I have a concern... how are you going to get the filters out to clean them when they are filled with water? I understand it's easy to the get them in there when they were empty, but how about getting them out?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like how you did the stands. Very nice!

But I have a concern... how are you going to get the filters out to clean them when they are filled with water? I understand it's easy to the get them in there when they were empty, but how about getting them out?
I actually fill the canisters before I put them in. Quicker and takes less priming.

The wood beam separating the bottom two drawers snaps in and out of place with plastic fasteners. Eventually I will join the bottom two drawer faces and the separating beam into a cabinet door.

Sent from my Nexus 5

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I actually fill the canisters before I put them in. Quicker and takes less priming.

The wood beam separating the bottom two drawers snaps in and out of place with plastic fasteners. Eventually I will join the bottom two drawer faces and the separating beam into a cabinet door.

Sent from my Nexus 5
Ahh... very nice. Just making sure you thought this through completely... which you did.

Again, they are come very classy looking stands. Nice job!

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Now all you need is a six footer for the rest of the wall. ;)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Here is what I have decided to do and have acquired funding for (excuse the crude drawing). 2 29g and 3 20g long tanks with dividers for different types of shrimp and culls. I will pick up the rack tomorrow as I have seen a few good options at HD and Costco. Need to be sure of the weight ratings though.

I will wait till the 30th to see if the 1$ per gallon sale is in one of my area Petco's, if not I will go ahead and purchase the tanks. Also decided on aqua clear 50's for each of the 20 longs and 2 hw-302 canisters for 29g since I have them sitting in my garage. still working out the lighting, but I think I will go led for the 20l's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts