The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using tap water recently but will be switching to RO water after seeing these test results. What do you guys think about this?

pH - probably over 7.6, my test only goes up to 7.6. Idk how high it is

kH - 5 degrees

PO - My phosphates are through the roof, probably because my tap water has high phosphates and I am EI dosing. It's over 10.

·
Registered
173 Posts
What is your goal? What do you want your pH to read? RO is soft and slightly acidic, and unbuffered, so the pH can quickly decrease or increase. What are you going to add to it to stabilize it? If you just add fish it will increase. Substrate, increase. Live plants, increase. Dead fibrous material, e.g. peat, Catappa, driftwood, etc, decrease.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is your goal? What do you want your pH to read? RO is soft and slightly acidic, and unbuffered, so the pH can quickly decrease or increase. What are you going to add to it to stabilize it? If you just add fish it will increase. Substrate, increase. Live plants, increase. Dead fibrous material, e.g. peat, Catappa, driftwood, etc, decrease.
Trying to get my pH to about 7.0 or at least around that for better tank health.

I have been using tap water recently and I feel like it's adding too much phosphate and raising my pH too much.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Instead of targeting a particular pH, research the GH requirements of your fish. Make water (tap, RO, or a blend) that has the right mineral levels for the fish as your first goal. Then make the KH match the GH see what that does to the pH.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts