The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just ordered 7 Scarlet Dario from the Invertz Factory. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping at the very least one will be a female. Its going to be a species only tank so it should be interesting.

Here are my water parameters:

pH = 5.5
GH = 60ppm or 3.36°
KH = 70ppm or 3.92°
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 10
Temp = 77° - 78°

I know I have very soft water so it makes no sense to me anyway to fight it. The best I can do is keep it clean and planted well. The plants don't mind the water being so soft because they are growing well. I just hope the darios acclimate to the water without any problems.

Anyone out there kept Scarlet Dario with similar water?

Dan

·
Banned
135 Posts
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/show_article.php?article_id=626 says:
"They are not too particular about water conditions: temperatures of 18-26°C are OK, although the cooler end of this is better. The pH and hardness don’t seem important, not even for breeding as long as extremes are avoided."
I'have them in an unheated tank about 16C in winter / 26C in summer.
My tap water is about 7,5pH, 5GH, your pH is maybe too low, then again I've kept them in an outside pond in summertime with only rain water (wich is very soft & low in pH, no problems there.
In my experience it is very difficult to find females, so I hope you're lucky :proud:, also females tend to get dropsy quit easily, (not just my experience).
I recommend weekly water changes of at leat 20%-25%, that seems to avoid that problem.
Looking forward to see some pictures of your tank.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/show_article.php?article_id=626 says:
"They are not too particular about water conditions: temperatures of 18-26°C are OK, although the cooler end of this is better. The pH and hardness don’t seem important, not even for breeding as long as extremes are avoided."
I'have them in an unheated tank about 16C in winter / 26C in summer.
My tap water is about 7,5pH, 5GH, your pH is maybe too low, then again I've kept them in an outside pond in summertime with only rain water (wich is very soft & low in pH, no problems there.
In my experience it is very difficult to find females, so I hope you're lucky :proud:, also females tend to get dropsy quit easily, (not just my experience).
I recommend weekly water changes of at leat 20%-25%, that seems to avoid that problem.
Looking forward to see some pictures of your tank.
Seems like they are pretty hardy fish. I would think that a constant clean environment with live foods feed as a main diet would bring out the best in them.

Here is some links floating around about the dario (Badis).Obviously some are better than others. By no means is this a conprensive list but its a start :icon_mrgr :

PracticalFishKeeping: Antti Vuorela and Stefan van der Voort take a look at Badis and Dario. As you quoted above :proud:

Badis, Dario also known as chameleon fish (I didn't know that)

Breeding Badis Bengalensis (aka Badis sp. scarlet) by Arthit Prasartkul Jan, 25th 2002

Badis badis badis, Hamilton, 1822

David's Ttropical Fish

Scarlet badis (dario dario)

This guy thought he had two males when in fact one of them was actually a female.

·
Banned
135 Posts
Seems like they are pretty hardy fish. I would think that a constant clean environment with live foods feed as a main diet would bring out the best in them.
That's my experience also, dry (flakes etc.) is not taken, some badis species seem to get used to flakes, my dario's don't. Not a problem for me since I keep them with rhinogobius duospilus (white cheeked gobies) which also take only live/frozen food. I feed them mainly live white/red mosquito larvae, tubifex, enchytrea (home bred), daphnia and cyclops. The latter are very easy for me since I live next to water which is rich in daphnia and cyclops for most of the year. They favor the worm like foods, just like the gobies.
Also I have a lot of Red Cherry shrimp in the tank, the shrimplets are also easy live food. I've had some fry of the dario's, sadly just males at the moment just 1 female (2-3yo) and 7 males.
Showing off my tank(s) :icon_wink
http://www.venividivissie.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=34952&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=360

gr. René

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You know, that's a great idea! I remember someone talking about keeping cherry shrimps as a source of live food on this forum. I've kept shrimps before, they were Amano's and that was short term. Gave them away.

I had no idea that cherry shrimplettes (<-- is that even a word?) are small enough to fit in a dario's mouth. Since they favor worms, I will order some California Blackworms tomorrow and try and keep some on the side so the worms will be readily available.

By the way nice tank and I especially like the Gobi's.

·
Banned
135 Posts
You know, that's a great idea! I remember someone talking about keeping cherry shrimps as a source of live food on this forum. I've kept shrimps before, they were Amano's and that was short term. Gave them away. I had no idea that cherry shrimplettes (<-- is that even a word?) are small enough to fit in a dario's mouth.
I've amano's too, mainly for algae controls which works fine, guess the amano larvae also are eaten, they're even smaller then RCS shrimplets. Never seen the dario's hunting for RCS young so it could be that the RCS offspring is mainly goby food. Then again the shrimplets are very small so it shouldn't be a problem.
Since they favor worms, I will order some California Blackworms tomorrow and try and keep some on the side so the worms will be readily available.
Guess breeding youre own blakworms isn't possible, so I go with bryony and advice grindals, (enchytrea) easy to breed yourself so you'll never run out of food, throw in some RCS and your done :icon_wink

By the way nice tank and I especially like the Gobi's.
Thank you!, The gobies are great and very funny to watch, love dario's they're little gems, too bad my galaxies stay a bit shy, they're beautifull too. Started out with a N. Vietnam/S.E. China biotope idea, White cheeked gobies, White Cloud Mountain Minnows, Sewellia's and bee & RCS shrimp, but couldn't resist the dario's and galaxies.

Keep posting, I'd like to see how you fair with your dario's

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Asgard, there is a thread floating around this forum about a guy who kept blackworms successfully in a small tank. He feed the worms and had a steady supply of the blackworms the his fish. Unfortunately I can't seem to find it at the moment. I'll keep trying to locate it. It might have been another forum.

The Dario's haven't arrived yet so I trimmed some plants, replanted and reorganized a bit. Here is a sneak-peek :icon_mrgr

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
I have 6 Scarlet Darios in my 29 gallon tank. Have had them for two weeks. As is typical, they do not eat the flake and/or the other prepared foods that I feed the other fish, but they pick at things too small to see from the leaves of the plants and Java Moss. They are plump and happy... I have no idea what they're eating, though!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rob, out of the six dario's do you have any females? If it isn't too much trouble, can you post a pic?

IThey are plump and happy... I have no idea what they're eating, though!
That's hilarious. A plump and happy fish is a healthy fish :icon_mrgr Seems like they are eating something. Perhaps the darios are eating the left over food when your not looking.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The ario sp. 'myanmar' - Black Tiger Dario is a very attractive fish. I would definitely be all over this given the opportunity. Thanks for the links, they are very useful :proud:

They might be eating zooplankton
They may very well be eating zooplankton. Rob says, his fish are plump and happy. I guess a well established tank goes a long way with dario's.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Asgard, I'm on a search for live foods for the fish :icon_mrgr. Here is the photo of the tank:

I got a partial shipment in for the fish I ordered. Here are a couple of crappy photo's of my fish:

Male and Female

Female

·
Banned
135 Posts
Nice tank! ..no background? Once the plants are fully grown it will look like dario paradise!
Female? looks a little white, I remember that when my fish where white they developed dropsy. Could be a coincidence, though. Not too sure that the white one is female, could be a non-dominant male, once settled the difference will show. My females are grey(ish), not white.
Most LFS's over here sell live tubifex, mosquito larvae, daphnia etc. Untill you find live food, frozen is ok, at first feed just a little, the fish might not be used to frozen food.
Frozen red mosquito is readily taken by my dario's. and once your tank is fully matured in a few months they will also find all kinds of infusoria etc.
btw your pictures are not 'crappy'

·
Registered
50 Posts
Darios

Recently I read that telling the males from the females is simple. There is no color in the females fins.

·
Banned
135 Posts
@dantra, not to steal your topic, but here are some of my dario pictures

This male turned white.

Like this.

and then died of dropsy. :frown:

Female, no red, just gray and blue.

But this female has some red.... but a gray body.

Showing off..

Winner takes the girl home.

Some weeks later.. one of about 5

Female with juvenile male. Too bad allways all offspring is male, maybe a temp. thingy.

Mr. no-stripes

Mr. stripes.

Another female

This 'whitey' (male) also died from dropsy.

Who? me? no it wasn't me..

maybe this pics will help you determine what you do/don't have.
I'm a bit concerned about the white looking fish though, hopefully it'll be allright.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Asgard and everyone else, please feel free to post anything you like because any information is a contribution to all. That said, your tank looks amazing and your fish are beautiful... I'm jealous!!!

Well what you are showing me definitely resembles the fish I have so I will definitely keep an eye on it. Perhaps its a domination trait reflective to the dario's? The reason I thought it might have been a female is because they usually follow each other around. Now I am a bit concerned but all looks well thus far although mine do look a bit scrawny compared to yours.

I really appreciate everyones ideas, thoughts and advice about the dario's. It's been extremely helpful. I will try to plump them up some.

Once again, your fish looks wonderful! :proud:

Dan

·
Banned
135 Posts
In my experience the fish that turned white all died, 2 or 3 in total, some still lived for weeks though while white.
The white male from the first pictures didn't mind a little dominance fight so it's not a color of submission sort of thing.
btw, there are no 'real' fights, the males show off to each other and sometimes may chase each other for a little distance, but moments later they might school together like nothing happened. The fish are not territorial and only when in 'mating' mode will they defend a piece of moss or something, so they can persuade a female to mate. Usually that behavior lasts only a few days until the female stops laying eggs. After that all interest for the eggs or fry is lost and aggression lowers to normal values.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow you defintely called it. I just checked up on them and one is dead and another one is swimming like its dizzy sort of drunk and off balance. I'll keep you posted.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts