The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just re-did my 55 because i could never keep the water and everything in it clean. Always has a fine brown tannish coating on everything.

I do about 50% water changes twice a week. I have 298 JBJ lights, 12 hrs on, running 2 RENA XP2, temp is 80...doing 2 DIY redsea CO2......but i do get the little bubbles on all plants. Help

·
Registered
791 Posts
Sounds like diatoms, which are common in new tank setups. Should have gone away after a while (maybe a few months). How much time did you give it?

·
Registered
791 Posts
months!! ouch. Its only been up for like 2 wks.
So just keep doing the water changes etc?
I'm pretty sure it takes more than two weeks. I recently got a little overzealous with cleaning the gravel in a year old 10g. I removed all the critters, then filled and gravel vac'd it 4 times. This induced diatoms. I think it's been about 4-6 weeks and I still have them.

When I set up my 46g, I also had a lot of diatoms. After about a month I introduced about 15 nerites. They cleaned it up in a few days, leaving a trail of poop the likes of which I've never seen before!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Sounds like brown algae to me, too. Do you have any algae eaters such as Amano shrimp or Otocinclus cats yet?
Brown algae is the same as diatoms, right (and is not really algae)?

Try nerites. You can start with a couple and see how they do. If they are obviously eating it, then get whatever number you think you'll need to get it under control (unless you want to just wait it out).

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
It should clear up over time. I have four tanks going through that right now. As the tanks age, they *should* get less and less of the diatoms. Sort of something I've always dealt with while ever tanks ages. After a couple months, it disappears. Never really bothered with a lot of water changes because, in my experience, it makes it worse.

And is that 298 watts of lighting?

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Slow down and relax for a week. This is supposed to be enjoyable.

When cycling a tank - which takes several weeks with plants and small amounts of fish or just fish food - over doing water changes sets you back.

If you have drift wood in your tank, tannins are probably coloring the water and will do so for weeks or months.

If you have algae which you probably do as you have added plants, that growth should slow as the plants start growing. Presuming you don't over dose ferts or over do the water changes. Cut your photo period down for a while as well. Six to eight hours should be plenty at present. If that doesn't corespond to your life style consider a mid day siesta.

If you simply have too many small particulates in the water, they will settle over time as well - if you don't stir up the substrate with the outflow from your filters.
Two Rena XP2s is, in my opinion, too much filtration for a newly setup 55 and possibly for any normal bio-load in a tank that size.

Good luck.

·
Registered
791 Posts
should be 260 watts jbj 48" on for 12 hrs.
Ouch! That's excessive. No way you can run that much light and for that long on a 55g with DIY CO2. Depending on what type of lights and reflectors you have (and how much you've elevated them, if at all), you probably should be looking for 100w or less.

today i cant even see through the tank!
Now you make it sounds like the problem is cloudy water and not brown film on the glass. Which is it? Both?

·
Registered
484 Posts
I ran 65 over 20 (3.25 watts/gal) for about 10-12 hours per day and I had an algae explosion. I had to do a 3 day blackout. You have 4.72 watts/gal....

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
should be 260 watts jbj 48" on for 12 hrs. today i cant even see through the tank!
Holy cow! Even 1/3 that light would still be "medium" light over a tank this size...

IMO you need to cut both the wattage and the photoperiod in half.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Sounds like brown algae to me, too. Do you have any algae eaters such as Amano shrimp or Otocinclus cats yet?
otos love this stuff..I've seen one clean up a 6 gallon tank in a night.

that being said...unless you are cycling aquasoil, why are you doing two 50% water changes every week? I'd reduce that to one 50% water change per week if you are doing EI or like method.

Fewer water changes may actualy help you get through the diatom algae phase faster.

I agree, lower the photo period to 6-7 hours and maybe raise the fixture.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
its both cloudy water and a film on glass(kinda slimy soft tannish goo) and everything else. I have no algae growth anywhere. plants are growing nicely. I`ll lights back some and give it more time. Its just strange, I`ve had this tank looking great for like two yrs before i moved. I also have a 20 with 65w and its doing great. thanks for the ideas everyone. i`ll let u know how it goes and post when its all better. Later i`m going to add some more Fissidens splachnobryoides & Xmas moss. (which I do have already and doing fine).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts