The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I read about these and realized I had all materials around my house I just had to put one together.

Update: 10/20/2014
I removed the crypt to allow more light down to the grass. The crypt had found the water surface and was putting out really long leaves that stretched all across the surface.

Update: 5/27/2014
The DHG is really starting to spread now.

Update: 4/29/14
Added DHG and Crypt, took out ludwigia yesterday

Update:12/31/13 Re-Scaped

Update:4/27/13

Update:3/8/13

Initial setup: 02/02/13

Tank: 1g bowl

Lighting: [STRIKE]11 watt GE CFL indoor floodlight 6700k[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Westward facing window[/STRIKE] stock LED lighting off of my 37g

Mechanical: none

Heater: none

Substrate: Miracle Grow organic grower's choice, gravel, super naturals tahitian moon sand

Flora: Red Tiger Lotus, [STRIKE]Dwarg Sag, Ludwigia Repens, Duckweed, Wisteria[/STRIKE] Dwarf Hairgrass

Fauna: pond snails, Cherry Shrimp, 1 cory fry (moved)

This bowl has become very low maintenance. For the first month I had to skim the surface almost everyday to remove bio-film. Now I do a small water change every other week or so.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Came out great, what type of water changes are you doing ?

"Miracle Grow organic grower's choice" seems to be what most in here use but I thought it had cow manure ?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great looking bowl, looks great on your kitchen table

How's it doing?
So it did really well for the first few months with just the light from the window.

By november everything had stopped growing but the duckweed. It was getting like 2 hours of strong light and then barely any for the rest of the day

I just rescaped it a couple days ago and have it on a nightstand in my bedroom with the led panel that came with my 37g marineland set sitting on top.

New pic coming soon

·
Registered
217 Posts
Just found this post while surfing the web for techniques on how to properly set up a Walstad Tank (or bowl as in your case), particularly with respect to the soil and substrate to be used. I intend to set up a similar bowl for a friend that I hope to inspire into the aquarium hobby by presenting a wonderfully set up bowl live with plants and all.

I intend to keep either a betta fish or a couple of shrimp in the bowl. I was wondering if you had any recommendations based on your experience.

Also, one last thing; what happened to your lotus (I assume that's what it is, or type of another water lily) in your rescape?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I would recommend shrimp. A betta calls for warmer water than shrimp, so you could stay heater-less guilt free. Also they won't swish around the water like a betta might (uprooting plants) and they will do something about algae. You could do more than a couple too! I've heard recommended about 10 per gallon, so you could probably do at least 5 easily.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just found this post while surfing the web for techniques on how to properly set up a Walstad Tank (or bowl as in your case), particularly with respect to the soil and substrate to be used. I intend to set up a similar bowl for a friend that I hope to inspire into the aquarium hobby by presenting a wonderfully set up bowl live with plants and all.

I intend to keep either a betta fish or a couple of shrimp in the bowl. I was wondering if you had any recommendations based on your experience.

Also, one last thing; what happened to your lotus (I assume that's what it is, or type of another water lily) in your rescape?
sorry for the late reply, but Briz is spot on with the advice

also the lotus is still there I just trimmed it way down, its getting big again now

Another reason I like shrimp over fish is that I dont ever have to feed them, no added food = very little poop = low maintenance

I add food only when my plants look like they need it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts