The Planted Tank Forum banner
81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
You might want to start much lower with your lighting/photoperiod duration. Just until the plants take off much much more. You'll have an algae tank in no time IME if you do 10hours
its been 3 days and no algee has grown yet. so it actually is doing a bit better, I dont know if its the otos or the lighting or the co2 boost. we shall see..

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
So the tank looks like [censored][censored][censored][censored] right now due to gas pockets everywehre!! and it sells like rotten egg, almost all of the plants have black roots and the ones that were starting to florish got some black roots too.. Other then poking it every day, what else can i do??

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
You have dead spots which have caused pockets of of hydrogen sulfide.

The roots are black thus they are dying. You might as will start over.

What is your substrate?

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I really hate to say this after all the work you put into this- but it looks like all that detailed rockwork you did left some large areas for anerobic spots to develop.

I think if you re-did your substrate, using only larger gravel underneath your rocks to promote better circulation, that might work better?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
So let me get this straight, this occurs due to poor circulation underneath the sand?? Im going to take this as a learning experiment, I am moving in 2/3 months so I will prob rip everything up and start all over unless it fixes it self

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
MG does release lots and lots of bubbles due to the organic decomp going on, but usually those bubbles are not toxic hydrogen sulfide... unless they develop in anaerobic areas.

The fact that your plants are going black and the tank/substrate/bubbles smell bad point to hydrogen sulfide.

Looking at your hardscape, you do have lots of potentially problematic areas, particularly with all those big rocks and lots of organic matter under them (the MG).

·
Registered
555 Posts
I wonder if floating the plants or moving them to a different tank, along with any livestock, could save some of them? Maybe someone with more experience than me could chime in on that. I've never had such a situation happen with my tanks.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Sorry to hear about all the algae and the bubbles. that is why i don't like MGOP(b/c bubbles). I had same problem in my other tank. even after a year there will be a few pockets when I move my plants. yours sound worse. It may help if you get more plants(swords/crypts) with bigger roots and put them near where you may have pockets. also agree with others to start with less lights say 6-7 then up to 8hrs. I know you said you didn't want to do ferts but it may help especially if you are using co2.

I have the same tank and am using just a fugeray 30inch and wormcasting capped with flourite with no co2 but once a week ferts. good luck!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Tank update: So according to my GF my tank looks like the hulk took a fat [censored][censored][censored][censored] in it lol.. I am goign to reduce lighting but the plants are growing gooooooood.. other then the algee plants seem okie.. still getting gas pockets.. but im not touchign the tank.. im just letting it do its own thing..

·
Registered
555 Posts
My otos will get fat off of those.. so im good. Might do this and rip everything out
Yeah the diatoms are normal phase as I'm sure you're aware of, but with the other issues of the gas pockets, I would probably be starting over and use a different substrate. I just use floramax and then maintain ferts dosing myself. ADA is too expensive :red_mouth

81 - 100 of 103 Posts