The Planted Tank Forum banner
61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
I never have used that before.. I usually just set up the diy and let it go lol.. I know, its not a great Idea but I am still learning on C02. Never read about it. Just know its good for plants.
Oh man, times like this I want to conference call lol (not saying I know everything, I get super frustrated with algae problems and such in my tanks. Still learning myself.) Drop Checkers (DC) are not the end all be all, but they are one of the most valuable tools, IMO, that you have available to you when it comes to the level of co2 you're putting into your tank/s.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
how long should I leave my light on? I currently leaving it on about 13 hours, but I know i will need to adjust once the Co2 starts pumping.
lauraleellbp advises to start with 6hrs

I have mine on 4hrs/ off 3hrs/ on 4hrs. I have found that this helps keep algae problems under control.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Drop Checkers (DC) are not the end all be all, but they are one of the most valuable tools, IMO, that you have available to you when it comes to the level of co2 you're putting into your tank/s.
Are these things expensive?? I'm a total noob when it comes to this whole deal.. All ive read so far is substrate and lighting.. Now that I got that down I need to read up on c02

I notice that you only have 1 bottle. Co2 would be more stable if you had more bottles. Here is a good read.
I have another bottle I can hook up too. but I'm scared of over pumping c02 in the tank and killing my fish

lauraleellbp advises to start with 6hrs

I have mine on 4hrs/ off 3hrs/ on 4hrs. I have found that this helps keep algae problems under control.
I did 8 hours last night.. I'm going to cut down to 4 hours tonight, Aglee is starting to grow on the black of the tank and on the rocks =0(

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
SO I am getting algee Its starting to grow on the back of the tank glass and on the rocks. I wana keep this under control so im cutting my light time dramatically, To my knowledge is because I don't have enough plants to use up the c02 so the left over c02 is getting use by algee, correct? Any suggestions on plants that would compliment my scape?

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Are these things expensive??
Drop checkers are cheep on Ebay. Get the solution too there.
I have another bottle I can hook up too. but I'm scared of over pumping c02 in the tank and killing my fish
According to Hoppy it would be very difficult to get enough CO2 from one 2L DIY bottle to do the slightest harm to the fish. Wit a 45 gallon tank he used 2 -2L bottles, and never got more than about 20 ppm of CO2. CO2 20 - 30 ppm
I did 8 hours last night.. I'm going to cut down to 4 hours tonight, Aglee is starting to grow on the black of the tank and on the rocks =0(
Sounds like normal green algae. Just scape it off the back as you take water out. No tank is free from algae.
Any suggestions on plants that would compliment my scape?
Alternanthera

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Drop checkers are cheep on Ebay. Get the solution too there.

According to Hoppy it would be very difficult to get enough CO2 from one 2L DIY bottle to do the slightest harm to the fish. Wit a 45 gallon tank he used 2 -2L bottles, and never got more than about 20 ppm of CO2. CO2 20 - 30 ppm

Sounds like normal green algae. Just scape it off the back as you take water out. No tank is free from algae.

Alternanthera

Other then the Carpeting plant I have no clue how to plant the tank.. Should I fill in the whole back side? I have some left over plants from my old tank.. Should I use them? here is the link to the PLant ID I was thinking of giving away. Here

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Other then the Carpeting plant I have no clue how to plant the tank.. Should I fill in the whole back side? I have some left over plants from my old tank.. Should I use them? here is the link to the PLant ID I was thinking of giving away. Here
The little 1s are java fern. The 1s with red round leaves are ludwiga. The long 1 is a Cryptocoryne.

I saw rotalla, medium light plant, grow in 20L G tank with just 2 clip lights. DIY Co2 was used too. The color was not a bright pink as some have. Perhaps the addition of iron would help.

Dry ferts would be cheaper in the long run. CSM+B would be a good addition. Good for red plants.

Here is a good link to help you scape it. Also google 36G tank and see if anything similar to what you want for inspiration.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
The little 1s are java fern. The 1s with red round leaves are ludwiga. The long 1 is a Cryptocoryne.

I saw rotalla, medium light plant, grow in 20L G tank with just 2 clip lights. The color was not a bright pink as some have. Perhaps the addition of iron would help.

Dry ferts would be cheaper in the long run. CSM+B would be a good addition. Good for red plants.

Here is a good link to help you scape it. Also google 36G tank and see if anything similar to what you want for inspiration.

I really don't want to use any ferts or rootabs, thats why I went dirt so i wouldn't have to do all that.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
So I decided to Just toss in the Java and rotalla from the old tank into this once sense everyone is telling me I need more plants. I have 3 plants in so far, Glosso, Baby tears, Java and the Rotalla. I think i will stick to those 4 plants only and add moss. I dont want too much of a verity thats why.. So I just need to find moss to cover up those patches of ugly foam. Oh and I also got a timer for the tank. Planning on doing from 8pm - 10pm and 2am -6am for lighting

Java on the left and rotalla on the right

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
I really don't want to use any ferts or rootabs, thats why I went dirt so i wouldn't have to do all that.
I believe these plants could be grown in your tank without ferts:
Sagittaria subulata
Cryptocoryne
Hygrophila difformus
Vallisneria
Hydrocotyle
Cardamine lyrata
Ricia
So I decided to Just toss in the Java and rotalla from the old tank into this once sense everyone is telling me I need more plants.
I don't think the Rotalla will survive without ferts. Perhaps until you get the plants you want you could get some Hornwort. It helps absorb chemicals.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
I don't think the Rotalla will survive without ferts.
It was growing really well with my old tank and it was about 23 inch from a low light so im guessing it was super super low but it was growing.

Do you think the JAva and the Rotalla complements my scape tho?? I like the Hygrophila difformus but not sure where I could pick that up at. I doubt my LFS has that. but they do have Ricia, but its about 7 dollars for a small golf ball size. Ricia is a moss correct?? So my chances of growing it is very possible?

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
It was growing really well with my old tank and it was about 23 inch from a low light so im guessing it was super super low but it was growing.

My LFS has that. but they do have Ricia, but its about 7 dollars for a small golf ball size. Ricia is a moss correct??
Guess I am wrong then. Did it grow just green?

Seems you would get more for your money buying from a member of the forum. I wonder if you did a member's advance search for members in your area you could find plants you want.

Riccia is Bladderwort, a floating plant, which some train it to grow on rocks using something like a hair net.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Here is some pictures of the ugly aglee im having.. But i picked up 2 Otos and they're doing WORK.. 1 of the big rocks are all clean already.

I also added an extra litter bottle for my c02 to see if it helps with the algee. Also trying to figure out my lighting. Starting with 10 hours and going to work my way down

·
Registered
555 Posts
Here is some pictures of the ugly aglee im having.. But i picked up 2 Otos and they're doing WORK.. 1 of the big rocks are all clean already.

I also added an extra litter bottle for my c02 to see if it helps with the algee. Also trying to figure out my lighting. Starting with 10 hours and going to work my way down
You might want to start much lower with your lighting/photoperiod duration. Just until the plants take off much much more. You'll have an algae tank in no time IME if you do 10hours

61 - 80 of 103 Posts