The Planted Tank Forum banner
41 - 60 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
I will be testing. Thanks for the advice.

So I am looking for plants asap and I have no clue where to start. Any ideas on plants that are
Easy to grow for carpeted plants and some
For the background??

I prob want to stick to 3 types

1-carpet
2- bushy looking moss so I can pin to the foam and steep hills on the rocks.
3- maybe some vertical growers somewhere in the back or front to give it some depth? Idea just ideas I'm throwing in my head.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Can't find this answer anywhere but does anyone know if a small 2'' pleco will stir up my substrate?? I read corys are safe but i am scared to put in the pleco

I also have some old plants form my other 30g.. I don't wish to plant them but can I just leave htem floating??

·
Registered
863 Posts
You can leave them floating as long as all your equipment is still functioning. They wont die, maybe just start to curl towards the light.

The pleco is completely up to you if you want to put it in your tank or not, i know as they grow some lose their algae eating ability, due to no being interested in it anymore.

As for plants....
- carpet - I would go with stargrass, dwarf sag, S. Repens or something along those lines. I have all three in my tanks and under a finnex planted plus all three grow fine. The higher the light the shorter the plants will stay. S Repens will need the tops trimmed I believe to keep it shorter but the other two work off of how high your lighting is. higher lighting shorter plants to get that carpet affect.

- moss - really any moss will do for this purpose, personal favorite of mine is christmas moss, but again any moss should work for covering up your foam and whatever else you have to cover.

- background - This again is all personal preference, If I were you I would go with ludwigia repens or maybe a rotala species. Both of these are easy to grow and arent too demanding. Now if you wanted something different you could go with jungle val, which is also and easy grower, but this will look completely different from the other two. Jungle val in my experience grows well and fast.

+1 on testing your water, good rule of thumb is planting your tank then letting it sit fish-less for two weeks or so to get your cycle going if not finished. After those two weeks then slowly acclimate your fish to the new tank.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Definitely test water before throwing them in. Only times I have not done this, is when I used old media from another well established tank (like you did) and I also use a bottle of tetra safe start. Can't tell you enough how awesome that stuff is. Now days I never test when I do both of those things. If only using media, I get nervous and always test, just in case bacteria had died off due to something weird whenever I transfer the old media to a new tank.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
looking good! hurry up and plant. I would say if your media from an old tank was still good and had good bio bacteria you should have an instant cycle, test the water if you get no ammo and some nitrates then toss them in after they acclimate to the temp. Keep up on water changes for the first little while until all the stuff settles completely.

VERY GOOD LOOKING SCAPE SO FAR

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
looking good! hurry up and plant. I would say if your media from an old tank was still good and had good bio bacteria you should have an instant cycle, test the water if you get no ammo and some nitrates then toss them in after they acclimate to the temp. Keep up on water changes for the first little while until all the stuff settles completely.

VERY GOOD LOOKING SCAPE SO FAR
I planted my carpet today. I'll post pictures later

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
So after doing somethinking.. I don't think my tank is high light with the 18inch from sub to the light fixture.. I really really want a nice and low carpet.. Should I get another planted+ or ray2?? suggestions??
If you have the cash I would go with the Ray planted LED.

If you don't have the cash here are some that may work with the light you have. Eleocharis acicularis, Echinodorus tenellus, Lilaeopsis brasiliensis, Sagittaria subulata

Check out plantfinder and click on placement option for my ideas.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Hey guys here is a picture of my planted glosso I planted 2 days ago. You can't see it here.. but I can see them growing already and they're going up and not sideways as i expected.. There is also this white fuzz cob web looking algee growing but as i googled it, it seems to be normal for new tanks like this.. and my ghost shrimp should take care of it.

If you have the cash I would go with the Ray planted LED.

If you don't have the cash here are some that may work with the light you have. Eleocharis acicularis, Echinodorus tenellus, Lilaeopsis brasiliensis, Sagittaria subulata

Check out plantfinder and click on placement option for my ideas.
cool site, that will come in handy, thanks Hilde. Wasnt sure which you suggested sense u said Ray planted? lol

1- So I am thinking of either another planted plus or ray2.. If another planted plus will take me to high light I would rather get a planted plus.. but if it wont.. then i would get a ray 2.. Suggestions?

2 - If I do get a ray2 what would i expect in algee burst??

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
It did on my 30g but maybe because I left the light on too much. I'll give it a shot once the ray 2 gets here
As there is an increase in light, there must also be a proportionate increase in CO2 and nutrients - aquaticcommunity. From this info seems that you probably didn't have enough Co2 for the light intensity.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 · (Edited)
Today I did a water change and it was weird, my water was a bit yellowish, im guessing its from the wood pieces in the MGOPM. So I cleaned out my filter since I assumed it was crazy dirty and bam it was.. wood pieces and dirt/sand all over the place. I did a 50% water change and also added some carbon in the canister.

I also hooked up my DIY Co2 today to complement my new ray2 light.

Co2 Mix
2 cups sugar
1/2 tbsp yeast
1/2 tbsp baking soda

I got my Ray 2 today and my first impression was damn what a difference, the tank is way way better lit now with the ray 2. I notice that the Circuit board with the LEDs would be on the full bar like the planted plus, but it is short by maybe 3 inch on each side? a little disappointed about that but I'm sure its bright enough as it is.I tired to get a picture of it on and off but it looks the same while the planted plus is running because of the auto adjustment.. But here is a picture with the Ray2 and Planted+

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Does anyone know where the best place to put the defuser? Its currently in the front right of the tank right under the filter outlet stream.

how long should I leave my light on? I currently leaving it on about 13 hours, but I know i will need to adjust once the Co2 starts pumping.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Does anyone know where the best place to put the defuser? Its currently in the front right of the tank right under the filter outlet stream.

how long should I leave my light on? I currently leaving it on about 13 hours, but I know i will need to adjust once the Co2 starts pumping.
13 hours :eek5: If I did that, I would have algae problems like a "you know what." I run pressurized co2 and run my med/high-high light setup roughly 9hrs a day at most. My tank though, is packed with way more stem plants and just plants in general, compared to where your tank is at with it being new.

Are you going to use a drop checker?

41 - 60 of 103 Posts