The Planted Tank Forum banner
21 - 40 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
His rock that have the ferns don't look natural.

You could make some rocks, which would weigh less than real rocks, as fishbreath did here.
that looks really really challenging.. But I am thinking about using the foam as a filler with some rocks to weigh it down.. and just top it of with MGOPM and some gravel.. I am thinking about scratching the whole project cause its so damn challenging that I think i'll be in over my head.. I am going to give it a couple of days to sink in before I buy things..

Really thinking about going to easy route and just toss everything in and start planting but idk.. its bugging me that this tank is sitting on the floor for a month already.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
I have seen some real nice layouts using rounded river stones, although it might look better in a shorter tank.

For a small tank like this one the crack in the plastic rim is probably not a big deal. It would be a good to watch out for more cracks in the corners.

I'd be disinclined to use those green stones. They might have copper or other metals in them.

Have you bee able to make any more headway.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Well after some discussions on My substrate thread. I really want to get my hands on some lava rock. The pet store is $2 a pound but other people tell me I can get it for 10cent a pound at quarry stone places but we don't have a lot of those here in sothern California (Orange County) any suggestions on other cheap options other the Lava rock?? If I get desperate I may just cough up some money for the $2 a pound.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hey guys.. so its been a couple weeks sense i updated but I have made zero progress, I was just at the pet store looking at LAVA rock and I feel like im back to square one on the hardscape. Can't figure out what to buy or how to setup this scape.. Looking into buyin just a package of rocks from the for sale/trade section and just go from there..

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Hey guys.. so its been a couple weeks sense i updated but I have made zero progress, I was just at the pet store looking at LAVA rock and I feel like im back to square one on the hardscape. Can't figure out what to buy or how to setup this scape.. Looking into buyin just a package of rocks from the for sale/trade section and just go from there..
Got any pictures of what you have done?
Lava rock can be bought at hardware stores now.
Here is a link for aquascaping.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Got any pictures of what you have done?
Lava rock can be bought at hardware stores now.
Here is a link for aquascaping.
Went to all my hardware stores and they carry none, only the bags for the bbq or little stones.. But after talking to a friend shortly after posting that last post i posted, I went into I don't give a F*** mode lol. I just picked the rocks i liked out of the yard and now im at the point where im starting to scape.. still playing around and none of these are perminent.. still trying to figure it out.. so bare with me.. ill post a pic of the final spot i like.. I forgot to buy foam so I can't fill the tank untill i go tomorrow.. which is scary cause all my fish are in a bucket ready to go into the tank =.=

·
Registered
6,262 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
so i tried to cover the foam with sand.. it didnt stick very well it just made the foam sink so i had to refoam the spot that caved in with sand.. I think that is why they use the epoxy?? lol.. i will cut off the extra foam or dremmel it out.. but here are some pictures..

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Did you decide if you're running CO2 or not? That will greatly impact your options in terms of carpeting plant options.
I can but last time I tried I has mass amounts of green spot Algee everywhere. I have a DIY setup with either 1/2 bottles of 2 litters. I has 1 bottle on my old tank and it was running for a good 3 weeks. I'm a bit scared to do again cause of the algee but if I can grow better carpets I'll do it

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I feel like this has become a, what not to do when you're foaming learning experience for everyone loll..

anyhow, So I started clearing up the foam and am stuck with a delima.. i thought the sand would stick the the foam like glue but it didnt so now im stuck with this very very steep foam wall.. any ideas on how to cover this up??

My first thought is moss, but no clue what type and if it will blend in nice with carpeted plants.. I am also leaving gaps behind to fill so i can have plants there too if i want.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
So I just finish putting in the filter and heater.. does anyone know how long I should wait before adding my fish?? I let it sit over night.. Just tossed in the filter (with water and media from old tank filter is Fluval Canister filter 206(9) forgot the n umber) I am a bit confused cause I'm here two things..

either add the fish right away and just do water change daily for 2 weeks..

or wait a week or 2 to let tank cycle then add fish?

·
Registered
58 Posts
So I just finish putting in the filter and heater.. does anyone know how long I should wait before adding my fish?? I let it sit over night.. Just tossed in the filter (with water and media from old tank filter is Fluval Canister filter 206(9) forgot the n umber) I am a bit confused cause I'm here two things..

either add the fish right away and just do water change daily for 2 weeks..

or wait a week or 2 to let tank cycle then add fish?
Best is to test your water for Ammonia/Nirite/Nirate levels than taking a guess. Unless you don't care if your fish die then you can add whenever you like :p

21 - 40 of 103 Posts