Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are my tanks :)

38 Gallon
- commercial grade medium sand substrate from Lowes
- Rena Filstar XP2 canister filter w/ a small amount of peat moss
- 110 watt power compact strip light, left on for 7 hours a day
- Plants are jungle val, corkscrew val, rotala indica, rotala rotundifolia, green hygro and dwarf sag
- Fish are 1 angel, a pair of apistos, 4 zebra loaches and 2 otos

This is the tank with the original Flourite that I recently switched to sand. IMO the tank looks better in person, but it doesn't look as good in pics.

This is the tank with the new sand, which is really bright, and after I rearranged the plants. The big clump of jungle val in the first pic started off as a tiny little bunch of about 3 strands. It is the only plant that has done really well in my tank. In this pic, I seperated the big clump into several smaller clumps.

Left side

Right side

My angel

The apistos

My favorite inhabitant

Zebra Loaches

Oto

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've been battling algae in this tank for awhile now, so hopefully someone can help me out. I originally started with a 60 watt dual-tube NO light, and my jungle val was growing great but everything else was dying off. I bought the 110 watt pc light, and have battled algae ever since, but my plants are growing. When the dwarf sag isn't covered in algae, it sends out runners, and I've had to trim the rotala down a few times. I bought some dry ferts from Greg Watson, which I was dosing every three days, but that brought on a horrible bout with BBA. So I cut the lighting down to 8 hours a day, and I have stopped dosing ferts and doing water changes to make this a low-tech tank. I know that my lighting is high for no C02 though, so should I switch back to the 60 watt NO light? But then my dwarf sag isn't going to grow at all :(

Anyways, here is my Mini-Bow 7
- Whisper Filter
- Onyx sand substrate
- Plants are anubias nana, cryptocorne wendtii red, cryptocoryne walkeri, e.tennellus, wisteria, rotala indica and taiwan moss
- Fish are 2 dwarf puffers and some ghost shrimp

1 - 3 of 3 Posts