The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I set up my Walstad tank about a month ago where I planted my tank very heavy. About 10 days ago my water parameters seem to be pretty normal: nitrite and ammonia is about 0 mg/L. Nitrate is about 10-20 mg/L. PH level is about 7.5.

However, the plants are not looking very healthy. Some looks frail, the leaves are not very green, some even have holes in them:
Plant Flower Plant community Leaf Nature

Plant Organism Vegetation Terrestrial plant Grass

Plant Terrestrial plant Vegetation Grass Aquatic plant

Plant Leaf Green Grass Terrestrial plant

Plant Terrestrial plant Aquatic plant Grass Groundcover

Plant Terrestrial plant Aquatic plant Evergreen Groundcover

Plant Terrestrial plant Organism Grass Aquatic plant

I have suspected that I may have over-mineralized the soil (I soaked the soil, dried them and then repeated the process several times in 2 weeks).

So I have couple questions:
a) can somebody help me identify which nutrients my plants are lacking?
b) What fertilizers should I use? All-in-one or just singular nutrient? Root tab or liquid fertilizer?
c) where I'm from (not in the US/UK/AUS), I don't have access to a various type of fertilizer. Most dry fertilizer I see on the market are NPK (like Osmocote slow-releasing N 14%; P2O5 14%; K2O 14%), would they be okay to be used in this tank?

Any advice would be really appreciated! Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
It's hard for me to see in the pictures but be aware any old growth before in your tank will likely wither and die. It's the new growth you should be paying attention to. Is the new growth showing deficiencies? It is extremely unlikely a dirt tank a month after setup is going to be lacking nutrients.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts