The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-
I have a 46 gallon bowfront, heavily planted, with three pearl gouramis, 9 black neon tetras, 21 celestial pearl danios, and 5 juli corys. I love all these fishes---how they interact with each other; how they complement each other visually; how they zip around the tank. However, there is very little contrast with the plants (and with each other), and so the tank is not as interesting as it could be.
I would love some ideas about whatfish to add/what to take out, etc., keeping in mind that I may be maxed out in terms of stocking.
BTW, cardinals and neons are out of the question, as I have hard, basic water, ph 7.8 or 8.0.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Technically, pearl gouramis, tetras, and cories (mostly everything you have) need soft, acidic water. So if those are thriving, then cardinals and neons can probably adapt to your conditions as well.

If you really want to go with community fish that like hard alkaline water, you should consider livebearers -- platies, guppies, endlers, etc. They're incredibly colorful and active, plus you'll get babies. With a 46 gallon tank, you can go with a really nice swordtail species, like pineapple swords or the new koi swords.

·
Registered
567 Posts
The tetras aren't really out of the question with your water parameters. I've kept them in that pH range successfully.

The livebearers are a good choice, or you could look into some of the smaller rainbowfish like Praecox. There's also cherry barbs, though they can be a touch aggressive.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Have you thought about a small school of red/harlequin rasboras? They should make a nice fit with your current tank inhabitants. I would also agree that neon/cardinal tetras are not out of the question. Do you have a local store that typically has a good selection of healthy looking fish. Chances are that a local store would keep most of their tanks filled with municiple water, which should be similar to your tank. I would advise asking them if they can get tank raised neons/cardinals...they may be a little more expensive, but if they are hardier in your water it will be worth the extra cost. As always take plenty of time acclimating any new fish.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting......Maybe I'll try some neons or cadinals then. Can I add more fish to my tank without it being overstocked? I have an Eheim 2217 and a Rena XP2 running. Pressurized co2 inline off the Eheim.
I do have a school of harlequin rasboras in a smaller tank.....I could add them to the bigger tank. But, again, my concern would be overstocking. What do you guys think?
BTW, this tank used to be a livebearer tank, but then I got bored with it (mainly because I had no idea how to grow plants and they all died) and changed it to a Malawi peacock tank, got bored with that and, viola, here we are. This is my favorite of the three. So I'd like to stay away from livebearers, if possible.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
The gourami are really the only heavy bioload fish you have in there.

If you're faithful about weekly 50% water changes, I think you could squeeze in 10 or so tetras.

Personally, I'd probably rehome one of the gourami, and then add 15x Cardinal tetras.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I added my 11 harlequin rasboras to the tank and.....wow! Everything is much more alive and colorful. The black neons and harlies are playing together and the celestial pearl danios seem more comfortable, as well. I took out 9 of my celestial pearl danios and put them in my planted 10 gallon and all they do is hide. I think I'm going to put the CPDs back into the 46 gallon and take Laura Lee's suggestion and rehome one pearl gourami (boo hoo!). Since I change about 70 percent of the water weekly in the 46 gallon, I think I can overstock it a little bit.
Celestial pearl danios are indeed beautiful, but you have to strain your eyes to see them......and once you can find them, you have to look really hard to notice their coloration/patterning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.