The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still not happy with the lighting on my tank. I have a 29 gal and i started off with one fluorescent fixture and it was not bright enough so i added another one and since them i have spent way too much money on all different types of bulbs and am still not happy. I am now running a 6500k and an 8000k and it is STILL really dim. At this point i am thinking about forgetting the florescent lights altogether and just spending the money on a duel T5 :angryfire Would that be overkill on a 29gal? it is just such a tall tank. Any thoughts? advice? i am also switching out my substrate from white sand to eco complete black and i am worried it will make my tank look even darker without brighter lights. :confused:

·
Banned
220 Posts
yeah defiantly go with duel lighting and if it is too much raise it a foot above the tank and yeah eco complete will make you tank look dark and gloomy in my opinion but just dont worry lighting always has a way of working itself out.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
no it wouldn't be overkill just raise the light about 4 inches from the rim and if you aren't happy rest it on the rim, if you see algae becoming a problem raise it again, t5HO is a good investment =p so are leds but those are quite expensive upfront

the eco complete will be fine, it just won't reflect light like a lighter substrate, i would consider going a blank sand over eco complete however or even a clay based sand like the baseball diamond stuff forget the name, it looks awesome and is fairly useful as well as heavy enough to settle right away

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
A two bulb T5HO light with very good reflectors, would give you very high light, even if raised 4 inches. But, if the reflectors are just so-so, you might get usable high light. I doubt that you will be happy with that for very long. High light means a lot of constant working on the tank, or a tank full of lots of algae, especially black brush algae. And, of course, having the CO2 set up nearly perfect is essential with high light.

If your current lighting is T8 bulbs you probably have low light, just a bit more than needed to grow low light plants.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this is the one i was thinking about getting. As for more maintenance, i don't mind that. i used to have 4 large tanks and it took me HOURS to do the water changes every two weeks and i was also considering adding CO2 if needed later on.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I'm still not happy with the lighting on my tank. I have a 29 gal and i started off with one fluorescent fixture and it was not bright enough so i added another one and since them i have spent way too much money on all different types of bulbs and am still not happy. I am now running a 6500k and an 8000k and it is STILL really dim. At this point i am thinking about forgetting the florescent lights altogether and just spending the money on a duel T5 :angryfire Would that be overkill on a 29gal? it is just such a tall tank. Any thoughts? advice? i am also switching out my substrate from white sand to eco complete black and i am worried it will make my tank look even darker without brighter lights. :confused:
What's the combined lumen output ?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Changing bulbs but not upping wattage to a NEW fixture will do basically nothing, as far as dimness. Slight differences in the way our eye sees each color temp, maybe. But it won't be much difference.

An increase in wattage/type(t8/t5/etc) is necessary.

Dual t5ho without co2 is a nightmare waiting to happen. dual t5no would prob be doable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.