The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Argh.

Well I guess I should have known better. I picked up a used 150gal tall about a month ago from a local guy. When I got there the tank was still full of old water, gravel, rocks and the glass was covered with old algae. It looked nasty. The guy demonstrated how easily the algae came off with his bare hand and I was reassured.

The guy drained the tank and cleaned out the gravel while I waited. After hauling the monster home with a friend, I cleaned off the algae with hot water and a towel. Looked pretty good in my storage area under dim light.

I had noticed the presence of a white film on the glass after cleaning that I knew would be troublesome to get off, but I figuered either vinegar or a clean razor blade would take care of it.

Well to make a sad story shorter... I picked up lights for the tank from another local hobbyist and put them on the tank in the storage room for fun.
To my horror, it appears as if the entire tanks has been abused by a rusty knife. There are scratches on the interior glass literally everywhere. Like an acrylic tank's bad dream. Only this is 1/2 inch glass. I double checked to make sure that the scratches were actually in the glass and not just lines in the white residue on the glass. Although I cannot actually feel the scratchs, they are shallow, I fear they are actually in the glass.

Like a good hobbyist I have combed the web looking for a possible solution. I read about vinegar, razor blades, silicone sealant and buffing with cerium oxide. No one seems to have had much success and everyone seems to end up buying a new tank.

So what do you guys think? Am I screwed? Is there anything to try?

I guess I should have cleaned the tank under high lights and found this out a month ago.

-Karlos

·
Registered
270 Posts
Well, if the scratches are shallow and mostly on the inside of the tank then once it's full of water you shouldn't be able to see them. I've had several tanks that had tons of scratches on the inside but, once they're full you can't tell.

·
Registered
39 Posts
When filled with water shallow scratches on glass are near invis. but will be the first place GDA will attach. As long as you keep things clean it should be OK - I have some on the inside of my 150G but you cant see them unless your up really close.
Sue

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try to get rid of the white haze and then fill the monster up, turn on the lights and take a peek.

Crossing fingers....

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've always wondered if the stuff they advertise on TV to take scratches out of eye glasses would work on an aquarium. I don't see why it wouldn't. Might take a lot to do an entire 150 gal tank, though, and I don't know how it would react to water. A light buffing compand for jewlery or car paint might work as well. I'd try things out on an inconspicous part of the tank first.

David

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the links

I paid $300 for the tank, stand and canopy.

I think I can have a tank made locally for less than $300. But I will want to see what things look like in the scratched tank with water.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Ouch. That's a good price for a complete setup that size, but still quite a bit of pocket change. Hopefully the scratches will disappear for you when the tank is filled.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have used "RAIN X .THE INVISIBLE WINDSHILD WIPER" the stuff that repels rain also can fill the not so deep scratches,but you must apply it with a cotton wool a few times depending on how deep the scratch is ,it dries very quickly.then you lightly buff it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts