The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

My tanks 90 gallons and has 260 PC watts above it. It's about 1.5 months old. My glosso is growing straight up for the most part (not enough light?) and I keep getting more and more brown algae between the glosso stems. Could I still be going through the new tank stage? Will this work itself out? I've been removing the algae as much as I can every week when I do my 50% water change.

I've recently upped my CO2 and cut my ferts in half, tank gets 8 hours of light. XP3 for filtration. Glass CO2 dispenser, only dispense during the day.

Algae crew is only 5 RCS, 8 Ottos, 5 Nerite snails, a ramshorn, a growing legion of pond snails.

PH 6.6 (7.8 out of the tap)
kH 7
CO2 about 50 ppm
NO3 10-20
PHO4 was at 5+ now between 1-2
Fe 1+

After cutting dosing in half, I dose 3 times a week each:

1/2th tsp KNO3
1/8th tsp KH2PO4 (trying to keep this low, might only dose twice a week)
CSM+B 1/8th tsp (alternate days from other dosing)

I also have a fair amount of staghorn.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Here is my two cents...No doubt some what new tank syndrome, BUT, from what I see you need a boatload more fast growing stems in there. Like Egeria, hygrophilas, stargrass, Ambulia aquatica, stuff like that which is super fast growing. You may need to discard the plant parts or plants which are too covered with the diatom or whatever brown algae that is. Fill the whole bottom of tank with fast stems and don't worry how it looks regard aquascape. Let it fill right up.

Once the tank is balanced out, you can sell, give away compost those stems you don't want. You prolly have enough light. Might want to run both banks only 3- 4 hours miday and one bank 4-5 hours so you have a total of 8-9 hour photoperiod. And back off the ferts a little after a couple of big water changes to reset. Cut out the iron and go easy on PO4 with that light of load. Here is a good algae link too. Hope this helps.
http://www.aquariumalgae.blogspot.com/

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.