The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So been working on a 20 gallon tank with my brother who's looking to get into the hobby, he's had the tank for a few years now, but finally wanted to get into planted tanks and something more natural and less art deco. Though he still has grandma's floating frog in the tank /snickers/ Anyways, so the setup is fairly simple currently. Its a 20 gallon tank as stated, two lighting fixtures, a marine land LED system and then an 18 inch florescent tube fixture. Not entirely sure how good the led system is for plants this is a first for me but thought it couldn't hurt too much to give it a whirl. Anyways so far so good and below are the results.

There is a school of white clouds, a school of serpae tetra's then a pleco that we're moving to the fish store cause well he's just growing too large and we saved him from death anyways, so off to a better home with him. His replacement will be some sort of dwarf pleco or some other algea eater. Now the main question is what else we could place in the current setup. Our thoughts were Bolivian rams, apistogramma's, dwarf gourami's, maybe flag fish, but really we hadn't come up with any decision. So we are looking for some fresh idea's.

Thanks for any help in advanced.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, we kind of were guilted in to him, he was a bit sick at the store and was doomed to die, was at a local meijers so we grabbed him got him out of their sick tank and nursed him back to health. Was our good deed for the day. But well he's no longer an inch long, and growing quicker than before. But Jacks Aquarium said they'd take him and give us a little credit since we shop there often. Figure we'll do a trade for a rubber nose or clown pleco or whatever the little buggers are called.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Might have my names off, there's a number of smaller pleco's, I had a pair of zebra's with my angel fish back in the day. Cute little expensive guys... Don't think I will be spending much this time around. Any other idea's for algea eaters would be welcome.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The pitbull is a good looking pleco, though wonder if they would be able to order and how much it'd run me here in ohio. I know they were selling one of the medusa's for 80, and the only other option was the clown pleco's at 10.00. Guy said he'd try to order what ever I wanted so options are somewhat unlimited he said he could get heckle discus but it'd cost me a bundle. When it comes to otto's I don't mind the little guys their good in some situations, but they're too cute really. And I was wanting a bit of ugly in the tank.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Was looking at your own tank 2in10 and it looks great, starting to think i should keep a better track of what plants I toss in this one just to have some sort of record. Cause off the top of my head I don't bloody remember.

Still pondering about my lighting - http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lighting/146497-20-gallon-tank-lighting-questions.html

Substrate wise I'm using eco complete, which seems to do fine. Though if i add Bolivian Rams I might add a layer of light pebble on top since they I believe like to carry rocks around. Though i'm sure they'd pick up the stuff I have just as well really.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know there's some Wisteria, some anubias, little bit of java moss. Then the tall plant in the back and the grass there I'm not real sure what they are. Will have to do a little digging. Might have a lighting issue, though I don't mind the marineland led, it does have a nice visual effect which is perhaps wasted a bit with the fluorescent lighting . Perhaps if i just replace the single tube fixture in the back with a double it'll be enough.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All honesty not entirely sure.. Penn Plax Aquari-Flux FL15 is the bulb currently in the second fixture in the back.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I believe it is, going to the store in the morning before work to swap out the fixture. Armed with a little more information I should be able to make a more educated decision on lighting for the tank. Should have just stuck with my gut in the first place. My original idea was a dual tube setup rather than the led.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok after my trip to the store its now sitting with a dual t5 high output fixture. While I was in there I opted to move the still unattached java moss the guy tossed in for free at the pet store onto the bog wood. Though if I'm correct it generally attaches better if you sit it in a bucket but used some biodegradable string and well hopefully it attaches. As it finishes filling in I'll put up some new pictures. On another note apparently the local fish store isn't willing to order butterfly rams.. So I might have to dig a bit to figure out what exactly I am going to add to the tank this weekend.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.