The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys/gals,

I just saw my mystery snail with a huge snorkel type thing and it was crazy looking. So crazy looking that I had to take a photo for you all to see. That snorkel thing is over 6" long! I've had the snail for about 1.5years now. I keep him in my hospital tank along with other snails that breed so I can occasionally give my clown loach a treat or two.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah he just doesn't stop growing. I throw in lettuce, veggies, algae wafers, etc and he hasn't failed me yet on eating everything.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess I must have some HOT nurses in my hospital tank. ;)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I did a little research and discovered that thing is a "snorkel"

"The siphon is an organ consisting of a fold of the mantle cavity (nuchal lobe) at the left side of the neck above the head of the snail. When not in use, the siphon is a barely visible, but when needed, the muscles in this fold contract and the fold changes into a flexible tube-like structure, which enables the snail to breathe air while staying submerged. The siphon of an apple snail can thus be compared with a snorkel."

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.