The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am mostly posting this just so I can take notes as time goes on. But others may feel free to post in here if so desired.

Yesterday I just set this little thing up. After doing some research over the past few months, and growing UG in a variety of different conditions, it seems that I've had the most luck doing it this way.

It's just a standard nursery flat and vented humidity dome, in which I have placed 2" net cups, all stuffed with sphagnum peat moss. It turns out that compressed sphagnum comes already innoculated with plenty of microbes and critters that will feed the utricularia. There is no standing water. The moss is just thoroughly soaked first, which contributes to the humidity in the enclosed dome. Also, only distilled water was ever used. Never has tap water come in contact with this setup. Bugs and tiny critters will absolutely find their way inside here, and they will continuously provide nutrient. This setup would basically work for almost any carnivorous plant.

This thread will be periodically updated so I can keep track of how long it takes the pots to fill in and get thick.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL, nope, it didn't cost a fortune. Just time. It started life as one little patch I bought from someone here on the swap n shop. That was a while back, but since then I've grown it submerged, emersed, in aquariums, in terrariums, in soil pots, and in hydroponic gardens. It just keeps spreading!

What you see in the picture above was from a 3" net cup I grew in a hydro system, which I then separated into 50 portions which were planted into 2" net cups and put under the humidity dome. It will take a month or so to completely fill in each of these net cups.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
How do you find the appearance when growing it emersed? The few pictures I have found online don't look as bright as the immersed form. This could be nothing more than lighting conditions or camera differences, so I'd be interested to hear from someone who's actually growing it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.