The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first tank [already running].
Its a 15g long tank. It has a small HOB filter with a netting over the intake [for now]. It home to Ramshorn [3 large ones], MTS and about 6-10 cherry shrimp. I never really counted them before adding them. The bottom is a black sand with eco added to it, I was until recently using Stress Coat but Iv switched to Prim as its the same price [where I get it] but treats more. It has a peice of bogwood on the right side, covered with java fern. the back has Vals along it. And I have a ceramic pot [thinking of removing] which also has java ferns on it. Then on the left front corner is dwarf Sags with a car decor in the center covered with some moss someone sent me with my plants [nothing special] Im also planning on adding taiwan moss [its on its way] into the tank. Im planning on maybe taking the ceramic pot out and adding a mamario ball.

Does moss NEED to be conected to something or can it be left to spread on the bottom of the tank?

The 2nd tank [still in progress] Hopefully get a filter soon and then I can cycle it.
Im planning on building a small DIY Canister filter for this tank. Its a 20G Hight tank. It has black sand with Eco complete. I also have a peice of bogwood [hoping to get a taller one to take avantage of the height. Im going to have a nice Christmas Moss wall on the back of the tank. It bottom of the tanks going to have Pellia and a Madagascar Lace Leaf. Im going to have Riccia on floating on the surface to halp shade the lace leaf. Its going to be home the some nice A [or higher] Grade Crystal Red Shrimp. Im planning on adding some MTS as well but that will be all for snails.
Would snails EAT or Tear up a Madagascar Lace Leaf??
Will the lace leaf need CO2??

What else can you house with Cherry/Crystal Shrimp, something that won't cross breed? Maybe something different like a crab or something that wont Harm the shrimp??

·
Registered
200 Posts
With the MAdagascar Lace leaf, I believe, after it floweres you must remove the bulb for some times, like one would do with terrestial bulb flowers such as tulips or whatever. I read they are native to places where they will be on a muddy bank that will be submurged and as teh water recededs is left on a bank later that year to have a dormant period.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Moss Can be spread around the bottom, float in the water column whatever as long as there

Tanks should come out good!

-Andrew

1 - 4 of 4 Posts