The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am having a problem with my shrimp eating spinach. I am not sure if it is the way I prepare the spinach.

I just boil them and then run it through cold water, squeeze all the water out and freeze it.

I put it in tank water before I feed them. Non of my shrimp show interest in the spinach.

Should I just leave it in there? I am afraid that it will change the water parameter. So I normally take it out after 2 hours.

I know there is alot of post about this, but I didn't see one that can answer my question.

Thanks for your help. :)

·
Registered
861 Posts
They may have to realize that it is food. I would think you could leave it in the tank for awhile since it will probably take some time before it will start breaking down.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Anything will eventually change the water. I have left kale in my tank for 8-9 hours with no issues. I freeze, boil, cool, squish, then drop in the tank.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I've noticed that my shrimp don't seem to like BW spinach as much as other foods.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just leave my spinach in the tank for a day or two until it eventually gets completely eaten I've never had any issues with doing that. I also don't boil it I just run it under hot water for a little bit and put it in the tank it floats for a while but it'll eventually sink and the shrimp sometimes just come up and eat it off the top anyways. Bottom line I would just give your shrimp more time to eat on it mine love it.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Try to boil it for 2 min. Mine shrimps like it soft and I have to boil it for 2-2.5 min. You can leave it for 24h in to the tank without problem. If you have a lot of algae the shrimps aren't hungry enough.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts