The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never thought I'd be successful in keeping these guys! Boy do they grow fast.

I have 6 Juvenile Altum in my 90 gallon tank. I'm super proud. I couldn't have kept them alive without my wonderful boyfriend who is also an avid Aquarist. :) (My significant other loves planted aquariums too! How awesome is that!?

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Outstanding effort!!!

:proud::proud::proud:

Definitely, a goal I would like to attempt one day. :D

Are these wild caught or F1?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They're all wild, no F1's. My regiment is quite simple. I only do water changes with RO/DI water, but the dKH/GK is around 8-10 points. Water changes are about 10%-20% per week.

I feed only black worms. For a while, they were not coming out of their hiding place. Eventually I removed the plant they were hiding under to force them to gain some confidence. It worked! They're swimming all about the tank now.

When I landed them (received them from the amazon), I didn't bother to mimic their original habitat. I thought it better to give them a calm, stable and clean environment. This approach worked.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
What else could I feed them? They eat plenty of plant foliage & algae too.
Frozen Beef heart, shrimp, various seafoods. I thaw slightly then use a cheese grater to scrape of small pieces. Being frozen will reduce some pathogens.

You can try some quality flake like Ken's earthworm flakes.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
What else could I feed them? They eat plenty of plant foliage & algae too.
Live brine.

Now for some tricks:

You can add milk to the live black worms, they will freak out and squirm, this is normal. This will impart some of the milk into the worms.

You can also add things like Dick Boyd's Vita chem into live or frozen foods to add that to their diets.

Another simple item is to use protein powders from GNC etc, and add that to live or frozen food cultures. Just a little bit will help. Live brine is excellent and has no pathogens. A healthy well fed fish will be far more disease resistant.

Frozen Mysid shrimp are excellent also. My cardinals gorge themselves on this. Surly a large cichlid like angels will gladly eat plenty.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Angelfish are beautiful, but altums are something else! I'm glad you have had such success with these rare and beautiful fish. What plants, hardscape, substrate, etc. have you got?

Also, are those some dead leaves I see in the aquarium? I have always been interested in the use of leaf litter in a South American biotope, and was wondering if you'd share your experience (if that is indeed what you are doing..)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Angelfish are beautiful, but altums are something else! I'm glad you have had such success with these rare and beautiful fish. What plants, hardscape, substrate, etc. have you got?

Also, are those some dead leaves I see in the aquarium? I have always been interested in the use of leaf litter in a South American biotope, and was wondering if you'd share your experience (if that is indeed what you are doing..)
'Indian Catappa Leaves' that essentially release tannins into the water. Not totally sure on their efficacy over bogwood/driftwood. In high quantities, perhaps the tannins discourage bacterial growth. I'm sure that isn't the case in my large 90 gallon, but perhaps on a smaller 5-10 gallon sized tank.

Plants and hardscape are pretty normal. No plants out of the ordinary. I do let them grow a bit to provide refuge to the tank's formerly skittish inhabitants. Good news is the angels are pretty confident now.

Substrate is Walstad.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Live brine.

Now for some tricks:

You can add milk to the live black worms, they will freak out and squirm, this is normal. This will impart some of the milk into the worms.

You can also add things like Dick Boyd's Vita chem into live or frozen foods to add that to their diets.

Another simple item is to use protein powders from GNC etc, and add that to live or frozen food cultures. Just a little bit will help. Live brine is excellent and has no pathogens. A healthy well fed fish will be far more disease resistant.

Frozen Mysid shrimp are excellent also. My cardinals gorge themselves on this. Surly a large cichlid like angels will gladly eat plenty.
Thanks for the chime in, Tom. Luckily my boyfriend also works for GNC, so I'll definitely try out protein loading the worms.

I might try the milk too.

Cheers,

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Outstanding effort!!!

:proud::proud::proud:

Definitely, a goal I would like to attempt one day. :D

Are these wild caught or F1?

Try it sooner than later. The mystique surrounding them is almost over inflated. They are far easier to keep than they're made out to be. Perhaps the most difficult aspect of keeping them is obtaining good specimens (if they're wild) and landing them properly.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts