The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some photo's of some of my pitcher plants, Sarracenia Scarlet Belle and Dana's Delight.

I brought these two plants indoors tonight to cut out all the dead pitchers and took a few photo's. These plants have only seen light frosts so far. Nothing really hard yet.

Sarracenia Dana's Delight: Photo taken Sept 20, 2009. Plant is in an 8 inch pot and needs a larger pot. It has blown off the picnic table a few times and most pitchers are broken due to this. This plant looks bad, but it really is beautiful if not damaged.

Here it is today. It has really grown in some nice new pitchers.

Sarracenia Scarlett Belle:

Photo taken Sept 20, 2009. Plant is in a 6 inch pot.

Here it is today. It has also grown in some nice new pitchers.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Awsome plant!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sarracenia Northwest just posted a new video on YouTube on North American Carnivorous plants. Gives cultural information and some good shots of plants heading for dormancy.

I need to take a shot of my VFT as they are now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMD-RgZU-JQ

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Really nice plants Jerry. Have you gotten any last minute shots before your plants go dormant? Do these plants whither completely for dormancy, or do the pitchers retain some green. I remember seeing pitcher plants in the bogs Up North in the middle of winter still with some life in the foliage.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Sorry to say, I didn't take any photo's of the pitchers today. (Kicks myself). I just took all my VFT and Pitcher plants to my friends greenhouse today. There was a bug buzzing in one of the pitchers of the Dana's Delight. Every time I shook the plant, the bug would buzz. Dinner time!! Prior to this, I left the pitchers outdoors to see frosts, but the VFT were protected in an unheated closed garage at night. The Scarlet Belle pitcher has a lot of frost damage on about 33% of the pitchers. The Dana's Delight doesn't show any damage. The Purple pitcher, Sarracenia purpurea also is still unharmed by the frosts.

If I left the plants outside all winter, they would die down completely, as far as I have read-I don't have first hand experience. Last winter was my first overwintering in the greenhouse. By spring time in the greenhouse most of the pitchers will have died down. They can see temperatures down to about 26-28F in the greenhouse on cold nights. Daytime it will heat up. I am not sure if they ventilate during the day in the winter, I'll have to ask. It could get pretty warm on a sunny day.

Last spring I cut off all the pitchers that had any damage on them. There were only a few undamaged pitchers on the two Sarracenia hybrids. The S. purpurea is much more winter hardy and there were more undamaged pitchers to keep for this years growth. The plants take some time to come back in to growth in the spring. They really don't start looking good until mid June or so. The fall really brings out the color in these plants.

I do have photo's of the VFT after I removed the dead traps, but I'll put them in a separate thread.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oh wow absolutely beautiful... gonna have to do some research and see how well they do in my climate!
What state are you in? Sarracenia grow into Newfoundland, Canada and can see sub zero F temperatures. In fact, they really do need a cold winter dormancy. There are a few Sarracenia that are native to the southern parts of the US and can't take as much cold.

Not Venus Fly Traps or some Sundews (Drosera sp.). VFT need cool temps just above freezing. Bare root in a refrigerator works great. Keep them in moist peat moss in a plastic bag till you can bring them outdoors. Tropical sundews need warmth and sun/PC lighting all year long if you want to see the "dew" on the leaves.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here are the photo's:

First a photo of my Sarracenia purpurea soon after I bought it in May 2008. It had a Drosera "weed" in the pot. No extra charge. The plant had a bud at that time:

The next two of the same S. purpurea were taken April 2, 2010 before I trimmed any dead pitchers off. Notice flower buds here too.

Next is S. "Dana's Delight" from April 2, 2010. It needs transplanting and removal of dead pitchers.:

S. "Scarlett Belle" in need of pitcher removal:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is a photo of my plants yesterday after I cleaned up the dead traps on the Sarracenia's. I now see buds on S. x Dana's Delight!

I need to transplant them now.

Attachments

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I made a video on April 24th and just got it posted up on Youtube. The quality of the video is not that great as I am too close and out of focus, and at times don't even show what I am talking about. I am sorry, but I really can't see the screen with the Flip video when it is in the sun.

I did this video without rehearsal and called my Sarracenia purpurea a S. rubra. That was a mistake.

I need to get a video of the pitcher flowers as they have opened up now. I have all my plants indoors for the night tonight as we are expecting a colder night than last nights 28F.

The camera card is broken I think. I need to get a new one, so I can take some photo's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w-yNnULFFc

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I visited the New York Botanical Garden today with the Connecticut Cactus and Succulent Society as a club trip. It was a great day. In the rock garden area there was a planting of Sarracenia's on a slope near the pond in what looked like a very dry area. I wish I had a photo, but no camera.

There was one cultivar of Sarracenia leucophylla named "Tarnock" that is really unique in that it has a double flower!! It really is beautiful. Here is an article introducing this cultivar back in 1993. It has a few photo's of the plant.

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/Species/v22n4p107_108.html

Here's one place I am familiar with in online ordering that has it. I may need to place an order!

http://cobraplant.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=83

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
I got a S. leucophylla "Tarnok" a couple months back and it's growing up well for me so far. I love the pattern on the back of the pitchers

1 - 20 of 29 Posts