The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys this is my first time with shrimp or any serious work with aquatic life at all. With the help of DK I started my own little project of RCS.

Running a Fluval edge HOB filter 20gal filter on a 10Gal tank with a sponge pre-filter

2 oto cat
1 pygmy cory
2 amano shrimp (Large)
6 RCS adults
40+ rsc altogether with babies.
Drift wood with Anubias barteri & lots of Java moss
1 Dwarf Hair Grass

Hikari Tropical Shrimp Cuisine

1 7 watt & 20 watt bulb (don't ask)

Excuse the blurry cellphone pics atm.

P.S I don't have a heater and I'm located in NYC. Do I need a heater for them to breed?

·
Registered
313 Posts
I too keep RC shrimp and Ottos together...great combination. They breed like crazy once they get going. I think the breeding shrimp help to induce my Ottos to breed as well. But, the mortality rate is somewhat high. They've bred two times, that I am aware of, in the last year or so. 10 to 20 each time but, only one survived from the first batch. I don't use a heater but, I would recommend one if the temp. goes below 74 deg.. I keep my house around 78 deg. during the hot months here in FL and 72 deg. during cooler months. I have considered that the Otto deaths could be temp. related. I keep their tank loaded with live plants and fresh veggies. They especially like zucchini and sweet potato. I do weekly 25% water changes. I think that is very important. The shrimp always molt right afterwards. Good luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
In general shrimp prefer lower temps (in the 70s) but RCS are an exception to this. They don't 'need' lower temps as much as crystal reds and tigers.

Like just about every fish or shrimp though it is best to avoid rapid temperature CHANGES and that is why a heater (even if it is set to a low temp) is a good idea to prevent a sudden drop that shocks the livestock.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.