The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a Rex type external Co2 reactor for my 55 gallon, attached to a Fluval 304. Towards the middle of the day it starts to make a gurgling noise, like there is gas build up in the chamber. From reading other posts, it looks like some others experience this. I have tried leaning the reactor at 30 degrees, but no help. Like the original, the water flows from top to bottom.

It is made from 1.5 inch PVC, about 20 inches long. Would it be better to make one at 2 inch diameter? Incidentally, I have very few microbubbles exit the spraybar, and only at the end of the light cycle.

Any suggestions? Is this expected, and just something I will have to live with?

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
If anything I would make it shorter. Do your plants pearl a lot? Normally CO2 will dissolve pretty quickly and not cause this problem. Air trapped in the reactor will

Seeing as how this problem occurs only part of the day I'm leaning towards air getting into the reactor.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My plants don't pearl that much. Only toward the end of the day to I really see anything. That is mostly bubbles on the underside of fast growing stems and java ferns. As far as these bubbles releasing and rising, I have very little of that.

Would the oxygen come out of solution in the reactor?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For my CO2 inlet, I used a piece of rigid airline than terminates at about the edge of the "cove" of the T piece (part B in your diagram) and the main PVC. Could this be a cause of the problem, in that I might be building up large CO2 bubbles in the "cove" of the T-piece that migrate into the main tube? Would it be worthwhile to remake that piece and extend the inlet CO2 inlet airline well into the main PVC pipe?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've burped it a couple of times. After a number of times of inverting it, I finally get it to be silent. However, a few hours later, it is gurgling again.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
You really need to treat the problem and not the symptom.

Symptom = gas pocket in reactor late in the day

Problem = ???

Likely causes: Filter sucking air or O2 saturation of water and filter pulling it out of solution, this can be caused by a restricted filter intake or clogged media in the filter or .....????

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll try cleaning the filter this weekend, since it has been a few weeks since the last cleaning.

However, I am inclined to think that this is not the problem. If O2 was coming out of solution in the filter, I should be hearing the filter impeller chop it up. I used to bubble CO2 into my Fluval, but stopped because it was so noisy when the bubble made it to the impeller. I think most people with Fluvals have that complaint.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I've now noticed that I hear noise ("gurgling") from the reactor shortly after the lights turn on. I listened this morning, many hours before the CO2 turns back on, and I didn't hear anything.

I'm thinking that the rolling bubbles in the reactor is CO2 that is not dissolving.

·
Registered
237 Posts
i've got mine angled at about 40 degrees at the moment...if i turn the gas down i don't think i'll hit 30ppm as i'm having a hard time as it is with attaining that level. drop checker's still blue :(

G

·
yeah I dont think your doing something right then. Take pics so its easier to see what you have going on and maybe others can give more feedback on it.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
You are injecting too much gas for that pump.
couple of ways to fix, turn down bubble rate or get a stronger pump/canister or as Rex stated cut the reactor down in size.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Couldn't you add a burp tube with an opened/closed valve somewhat what like what is on the AM 1000 reactor to get rid of the extra gas?

It has been suggested that you could also run the tube into the intake side of a powerhead to chop it up a bit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts