The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a redsea paintball regulator, and somehow the cardboard inside the high pressure gauge has become bent and it's holding the needle thing in place. Can I fix this or am I screwed?

·
Banned
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's like the glass is shaking around or something... Like it's not sealed.

There were two screws on the back and I unscrewed them and tried to open it up, but it will not open. I'm kinda pissed. Dunno how this happened. My pressure when I left town was at 1.5 barr on the low-pressure gauge, at about 1200 Psi on the high gauge, and i was runnng 4 bubbles per second... When I got home the tank was empty and the high-pressure gauge was screwed up.

·
Banned
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone?

Will the Co2 leak through the glass on the gauge? That could be why the tank was empty when I got home.

·
Banned
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've cleared out as much algae as I can, cut down the lights to 4 hours a day and cut back on ferts.

over 70 views and no replies? PLEASE guys! surely I can't be the only one this has happened to. I bought it as a kit and I don't have the receipt anymore. Would redsea fix it for a fee?

Can I superglue around the glass from the outside? The glass sin't cracked or broken, it's just not sealed. I can't think of anything else to do short of buying an entire new regulator.

Hate to say this but I wish my solenoid had broken instead of the regulator!

·
Registered
705 Posts
not to sink your boat but i havent heared very good things about this kit so far not very many ppl are happy. A guy at big als said he snapped the thing in half trying to tightin it to the tank.

·
Registered
705 Posts
:hihi: superglue ? i wouldint be messing around with 1000 lbs of pressure and super glue ! how long have you had it ? did you buy it from a store if so try to return it im sure there's a warranty no ?

·
Banned
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lol, Got it online somewhere. I'll have to look it up. No receipt, and it was a kit (I traded away the bubble counter and the reactor that came with it so that probably voided the receipt if i had it anyway)

I've already torn down the tank and everything is in the process of converting to emersed form in my 75 gallon carnivorous plant terrarium.

Look forward to lots of emersed HC, downoi and dwarf lobelia for sale in the future is all I can say lol. I'm done with planted aquariums. I mastered the reef but plants beat me lol. That's like being able to do an algebra problem the hard way but not the easy way lol.

Anyone know where I can buy just the paintball regulator? I found one at thatpetplace.com for 99 bucks but it comes with the needle valve which I already have. I'd like to just buy only the regulator and save a few bucks. I'm done with aquariums but I'd still like to use it for my CP's and orchids.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Bump!!! I just found my regulator like this. The high pressure guage has a little crack on the glass and the numbered card is bent a little.

Could this be the problem why im not getting 30 ppm in my tank?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
If the gauge is replaceable, buy a new gauge.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I think you should look at your bubble counter and use soapy water to check for leaks. The big problem would be when it comes time to refill your tank, you won't know it. Otherwise, if there's no leak and the bubble counter is still counting bubbles, then gas is still going in.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I deattached the regulator and the gauge still works!!. So im good but im guess i need a refill on my co2 tank.

Its a 20# when full is 30lbs. right now its 25lbs. Does anyknow know the weight of a empty 20#? Its

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Well, if you know it's 30lbs when full and it's 25lbs now, then you know it isn't empty, right? Provided it was actually 30lbs when full, that'd make your empty weight 10lbs (which seems awfully low to me).

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
What kind of regulator do you have? Where would you get another gauge?

·
Registered
120 Posts
http://www.northernbrewer.com/regulator-parts.html

One of the first links when I searched google. You'd have to probably do a bit of digging to find a smaller gauge diameter. Gauges are pretty common and not terribly expensive.

frozenbarb, is your tank aluminum or steel? I've got a steel one and empty, it weighs around 30lbs, full is around 50ish. I agree with indiboi, my empty 5lb aluminum weighs 7.5lbs, so 10lb empty seems really light. The tare weight should be stamped on the bottle itself so look around the conical portion of the tank and see what kind of info is there to find out not only when it was hydroed but also your empty bottle weight, among other things.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
So that means when i got the co2 tank it wasnt fully full?
Its a steel 20# . It still has co2 in it though 100% true co2? not sure
I can't find the weight stamp on the tank.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
I can't be sure, but I seem to recall the last time I swapped my 5lb cylinder that it weighed 20lbs full (steel this time). I can't find a TARE weight on it, (argle bargle), but that's my basis for saying your 20lb cylinder would almost certainly weigh more than 10lbs empty.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
The last hydro date was 05. My dad got this tank from a resturant that his friend owns.

Can i swap this out without having to test it again?

Cha ching*!!

I found mark on the tank.

TM 24.0= Tare Weight 24.0 that means this tank is so low on co2 that im using the vapors.
Wow this thread killed two birds with one stone.

This proves why my co2 hasnt been able to reach 30 ppm
And that my regulator only shows 600-500

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
At the same time, though, it is a big risk not to have it tested again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts