The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is my 24x24x20 rimless cube. Designed for reef, trying planted.

Put water in today. ColorQuartz and Eco-Complete mix sand. (eco not added yet) 2 24watt 1000K t-5, 1 175watt 6500K Metal Halide.

what do you think of the rock?

Front

Left/Front

Left

right/front

·
Registered
53 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
humm, that link got me thinking...

The effect I am going for is a bowl look... I will have a tall plants along the non viewable glass creating 200 degree bowl effect. then stepping down in size, ending up with the low dwarf grass or something real short up front... in the center of the bowl I am thinking of placing 2 Crinum calamistratum, with their long wild leaves flowing around. I would like some mosses on the rocks.

IT should be interesting when I get it planted. I will look at moving soe rocks around though... Thanks again

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok this is where it is today

http://photos.thegiffordgang.net/d/644-2/IMG_3521.JPG[/IMG

After seeing more, I am thinking the two large back need to be closer together, The others need to be more piled, or coming out of a taller mound of soil. so the whole thing is coming out of the back right corner.

What do you all think?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks... I played a bit more with it, added 1 more bag of Eco Complete. I like it even more now. Thanks for helping me out. I start planting today, any last thoughts?

Front

Left

Right

·
Registered
183 Posts
I like both of your newest hardscapes. I would say the "Left" one is the best. It kinda looks like the base of a mountain with a dry riverbed on the right.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Yeah, I like the new layout also. I think it will make for a good 2-sided layout, since the location of the tank provides viewing from the front and from the left side. Good luck with the planting!

FWIW, and this is just a suggestion, a lot of times it's much easier planting the tank when the water is drained. I don't even know what kind of plants you'll be putting in there, but it's just something to consider. The way I do it on a new tank is I put my plants in the substrate, then I tamp it all down around the stems (or rhizomes, or whatever have you), then I take a sheet of newspaper and lightly stuff it down into the tank, then I pour the water in slowly. The newspaper will float upward as the tank fills, and it's easy to remove.

But for the longest time I used to fill my tanks first and THEN plant, so it does work that way... it's just that plants are buoyant and that fights against you while planting. Nothing is more frustrating to me than watching blades of microsword float up to the surface when I *thought* I had shoved it down deep enough. :angryfire

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
here is a full tank front shot of it planted.

I think I see what is bothering me about the images, it is looking down.

I will shoot a new set tonight looking straight on....

·
Registered
21 Posts
i agree with church... i planted my first planted tank which i started a week or two ago with the water full and it could not have been more frustrating. i ended up bringing the water down to about 30%. it appears you got everything planted nice but be prepared for rearranging things i have completely rescaped my tank three times until i finally found something i liked. i enjoy your hardscape the planting looks a little chaotic but this could change onces plants fill in. i really wish i would have went with strait eco i like the contrast dark hardscapes look with healthy plant growth.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts