The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Simple easy plants for my Ramshorn snails, & other small water gardens to eventually get shrimp.
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My snails are, I believe are Ramshorn (Planorbidae) and Bladder Snails (Physidae).

I started with 4 snails. They laid eggs, and in a couple months I now have about 30-40 snails.

But for the past two months I noticed none of the snails are laying eggs.

They seem healthy, the water is clean.
I feed them Shrimp pellets and Reptomin (a turtle food with calcium in it).
The water stays naturally clear and receives natural light from a north facing window and in the evening I light with a desk lamp.
They live in a small approx. 3 gallon ornamental glass jar with aquatic plants.
There are no fish with them.

Also the Ramshorn snails multiplied more than the Bladder snails.

Does anyone know why they have stopped laying eggs?
Do they have an instinct to stop laying eggs once a small space become heavily populated?
Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
Simple easy plants for my Ramshorn snails, & other small water gardens to eventually get shrimp.
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Possible Answer- Planaria is eating snail eggs

In case anyone else has had this happen I may have found the answer here:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/...hiteish-1-inch-long-worm-12715/#ixzz1Gje6I9Ug

"Planaria.....can bother small shrimp and snails and might eat fish/snail eggs."

So the snails may have been laying eggs but none may be hatching due to Planaria. I have noticed some Planara in my snail jars.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.