The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently won 5 blue rams at our local aquarium society auction and now it appears that I have a pair that are spawning. They picked a hollowed out depression in a piece of driftwood and are guarding the area. I see a large quantity of eggs but don't have any idea of where to go from here.

I read somewhere that you can move the eggs into a mason jar once they've been fertilized but, how do I know when this has occured? Is it safe to try and relocate the eggs? I'm assuming they're somewhat fragile and I will probably crush a few during the move. Also, how long does it take before the eggs usually hatch?

Thank you to anyone who has any info as this is my very first experience with this!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Are there any other fish in the tank besides the other three rams? I would leave them alone with this spawn and take out the other three rams. Rams are notorious egg eaters. My first pair never ate the eggs, but the pair I picked up last week spawned and ate all the eggs. Sometimes they need a little practice at spawning. If after a couple of spawns the eggs still get eaten you can hatch the eggs artifically. For more info also check out http://www.cichlid-forum.com

·
Registered
569 Posts
Remove all the other fish except for the male. The fry will be extremely tiny and freshly hatched bbs will be too big for them to eat. You can turn some food into powder then mix with a small amount of water. Then use an airline or syringe to put a cloud of the mix directly over the cluster of fry. After a few days the fry will be big enough for bbs.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the great websites, Doug and Cliner! Unfortunately, I have 6 total rams in the tank and a bleheri rainbow so, it would probably be easier to just remove the male of the pair but, is it possible to just remove the eggs at this point or do they still need the male?

Thanks for the feeding info RMC, I was wondering what to feed, if they make it to that point.

Unfortunately I don't have any kind of a breeder tank set up so, I'm hoping to be able to hatch just the eggs. I do have an extra 10 gallon but it's sitting empty now and probably couldn't be ready in time.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Unfortunately I don't have any kind of a breeder tank set up so, I'm hoping to be able to hatch just the eggs. I do have an extra 10 gallon but it's sitting empty now and probably couldn't be ready in time.
I would just remove the eggs the next time they breed (and they will breed again) to your 10 gal which you setup now, with half the water from this tank and half new. Put an airstone next to, but not directly on, the rock or slate piece you'll be letting the fish breed on this next time. I would place several 2-4 inch flat rocks in the general area of where the pair bred this time then hopefully they will use one the next time. You will have to remove the rock/eggs from the tank soon after the breeding as possible to keep anyone from eating them and to keep the pair from moving them to a pit or some other place.(leave the eggs, and the rock in their original place for at least an hour after the fish have bred so the sperm will have the ability to make contact with the eggs and you'll be more assured that they are fertilized this way)

I would also add some methylene blue to the tank for the babies once moved to help keep the bacteria to a minimum.(double the labeled dose) The airstone should be within an 1" space of to the eggs and set on high with a valve that you can adjust later if needed.

I have tried this method a few times just to see if it could work and still got about 1/2 the eggs to hatch out.

Be prepared to have some food ready for the young when they become free swimming they will need it pretty quick as their yolk sacs will be gone.

Also raise the temp to around 84-85 in the baby tank just like the page recommends that I listed originally for you.

Hatching the eggs and raising the fry will be the first part of this adventure your about to get underway. You will then need a larger tank to raise the fry to a saleable size or just cull the group down to another 4-6 and keep them in the 10 gal til about 1.5" and sell or what ever.:smile:

Look for used tanks from Craigslist in your area. There is almost always someone selling one that could be used for raising fry in.

Someone else can add details to this if they think you need more info, but after reading the pages above you'll probably be in pretty good shape.

Doug

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Doug, it's reassuring to hear that they will probably breed many more times because I was just not prepared for this, though I should have figured that with 6 rams, there would have been a pair in there somewhere. Thanks for the breakdown...that makes it seem a lot less complicated. Now it's time to get that 10 gallon started!

·
Registered
198 Posts
This afternoon I was at an LFS and saw some of the fish you have in a tank for sale at $9.99 each! They were to young to get an idea of Male/female but thats pretty good money. If you get another pair out of the 6 you'll have to do something with one pair or the 2 pairs will always be bothering each other and eventually one smaller fish will get mutilated or killed entirely. It's the Peking order of cichlids. Just keep that in mind for the near future as they will begin pairing off soon if they are about the same size, and if you get real lucky you might just get 2 more pairs though rarely this happens I have had it happen on occasion.:icon_lol: Maybe your LFS will pay good money for a mated pair..:wink:

Good Luck!
Doug

·
Registered
569 Posts
I had 4 pairs in a 20-long and they were all happy campers. Whenever I kept trios the odd one out always got pounded but if I had 6 or more dwarfs in the tank the aggression would almost disappear. Currently I have over 2 dozen apisto's in a 50-gal breeder tank and more fry than I know what to do with.

Rams are a little different because they spawn out in the open and the eggs/fry are too much temptation for the other adults including the female that laid the eggs.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Rams are a little different because they spawn out in the open and the eggs/fry are too much temptation for the other adults including the female that laid the eggs.
Exactly what I was meaning by "Bothering". I have owned them for a long time in the past also and I always had to seperate them since I lost one female to the peking order. Maybe the ones you have all grew up together? If so they may be more in tune with each other than mine were.

That being said Digsy can always just watch and keep an eye on the tank if they work out great! If not though there will be removal or seperation action needed.

Doug

·
Registered
569 Posts
No, mine didn't grow up together. Most of the fish I keep are wild-caught including the apistos. Whenever I wanted to keep a spawn of rams I would put a pair in a tank by themselves until they spawned and then remove the female so she can't eat the eggs/fry. The male will constantly move the mass of hatchlings until they can swim about the tank on their own. After that, you may find that you have more fry than you bargained for.

Good Luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.