The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks, as promised, I'll post the process of building my tank rack using wire shelving unit.

Today, I paid a visit to local Sam's Club and got this for about $90:

It comes with plastic inlays, so there is a little plan change. Instead of using the laminate floor boards, I'm using hard board I got from HD, cut to size 48X17.5. a 4X8 sheet for 5 pieces, perfect. It cost me about $7.

And, I need a little extra help, so I picked this up on my way home, :hihi:

Construction will start hopefully tomorrow.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The gorilla rack next to it costs only $59.90. It's 48X18X84. I didn't get it because I have to replace all the 1/2" laminate shelves it comes with. Will it be more cost effective using the gorilla rack instead? A sheet of 3/4" oak plywood costs about $40.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
personally i like the wire mesh better. maybe with just a 10 and 5.5 on each shelf it wont bow.

i have 2 like this one with the wood one with the wire mesh. when dealing with water i like the idea of not spilling on the wood.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Is that just b/c of the legs? If so, I'd just cut off the corners.

(You probably already figured that out... LOL)

I just looked at your pic and I think you may want to put something underneath each of the legs to try and distribute out the weight on those legs to the floor, I'd hate to see huge dents in your lovely floors!

·
Registered
183 Posts
My husband and I own the black version of the shelf you got. It holds EVERYTHING. He used to use it to house the old huge industrial-size monitors for computers and if you know your old hardware, they weigh a good bit. Granted, not as much as a full fish tank, but it still held up without bowing, which amazed me considering he could fit 2-3 on a shelf...so I wish ya luck! ^_^

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is that just b/c of the legs? If so, I'd just cut off the corners.
No...:hihi: the liner has to be 47" long to fit in the rims of each shelf. the usable area on each shelf is 47". I have to cut off the corner for the rods, too.

I just looked at your pic and I think you may want to put something underneath each of the legs to try and distribute out the weight on those legs to the floor, I'd hate to see huge dents in your lovely floors!
That's a good idea. :icon_lol:

·
Registered
449 Posts
You could always turn them longways... though not as pretty.
Or, just turn one longways (short side to the front) - and run the other two the regular way.

Many hobbiest breeders actually do this just so they can squeeze in the maximum number of tanks along a wall.

Although, I tried this using a Muscle Rack (48" x 24") and some 15g & 10g, for my Apisto collection. I found that I really hate having the deeper tanks w/ the short end out. I want to be able to more easily observe the fish. Perhaps not as much of an issue w/ a bare tank. But I cannot resist jamming in the plants; I love the plants and I'm sure my fish feel much more at home and healthy. Just if they go into the back I never see them, can't tell if the females are spawning, if they 're fry, etc., etc. I've now been working some months to rearrange all my fish tanks and turn them back long sides forward. Decided I'm not into it for maximum production, as much as wanting to enjoy observing the fish.

Anywoo . . . too much info.:icon_redf
It's not as much of a problem w/ a shorter 5 gallon tank.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.