The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like your feedback on my article on crs. Please critique as you see fit. This will eventually be an article to accompany a talk I am doing for my local club. If you like it feel free to distribute. I am trying to increase the popularity of these beautiful shrimp, especially in the Northeast.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wf786zmsjnlwex2/Keeping Crystal Red Shrimp.pdf

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
Nicely done. I know some people keep their shrimp with less gh.

Also, be aware that shrimp do need to eat some trace amount of copper to keep healthy. In shrimp food, copper amounts should be fine. In fish meds, the copper amount isn't. ;)

·
Registered
635 Posts
Very detailed I like it!

You should add but all people are different. What I have noticed. Parameters are one of the goals to maintain crs and other inverts but I noticed I get a better survival rate on newly introduced shrimp just dumped them in. But not into temps above 75 degrees lol

·
Registered
45 Posts
Nice write-up. I think the only thing I would change is the first picture. The image is stretched out of proportion. I would try to find a good picture and make it larger so that you can get a proportional image and just crop it to the size you need.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you dtrea2662. I hadnt noticed, but will fix, definitely.

Daboss, thanks for the input. Indeed this is not the only way to go about keeping shrimp. If something is working for you don't change on my account! I do not know it all by any means! Lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Soothing. I was not aware of that. I did know that some fish foods contain a bit too much, but I was not aware that shrimp foods contained copper at all! Thanks for the info!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It probably is. I find that ph isn't a huge issue, but I also think it is best to be safe and keep it under 7. Even with fish I find that when most people talk about ph they really mean hardness. In nature acidic water is usually soft, higher ph water is usually hard. With tap water not so. The source for my tap is 6.8, but they crank it WAY up at the treatment plant. It gets to me at about 7.4, but is extremely soft, tds 40 gh, kh less than 1. If you look at the ph you would think I could only keep African cichlids (and many here do). However I find soft water species do wonderfully, because they desire softer water. Now ph swings are a different matter, which is why I never change more than 20 percent water in my shrimp tanks with active substrates.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for the advice. The intended audience are experienced aquariasts. I wanted to emphasize having clean water. I also threw in what I did because itcworked for me. I definitely agree that there are many ways to filter water, and I probably should have mentioned some of them. Thank you very much!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts