The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a few weeks ago I got some Okefenokee pygmy sunfish by mail. I had well established community tank setup already for them. It's heavily planted and as soon I acclimated them and put them into the tank they vanished. I knew they were shy, but they completely disappeared.
So every night just after the lights went out and night lights came on I would feed my imaginary sunfish (they only accept live foods).
I started to wonder if they failed to survive, as I hadn't seen any. I thought maybe my amano shrimp ate their bodies.

However I awoken today to an amazing sight! Dancing around the front of the driftwood was a breeding male in full mating colors! Then I noticed a plain colored female hidden among the java ferns.
Their dance is very unique. It was awesome to watch in real life. And though people say these are very tiny fish,full grown they are bigger than neons. Really cool fish,but be prepared for how shy they are!

Just thought I would share my excitement with everyone. :)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, thats where I got them! Paul Sachs was awesome, he offers great deals and I got one more fish than I paid for. Great deal, and they arrived quickly. 40.00 dollars total, no crazy shipping charges or anything.

I will try to get some videos of my sunfish doing the dance, but it will probably be difficult being so elusive. There are some good vids up on youtube though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.