The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought you guys would want to see.

The link to the bigger image is here.

I probably will just let the eggs become fish food. I read that you have to add salt to the water to get them to actually hatch. And I don't have a second tank.

Do my best to keep you all updated!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
You do not need salt for the eggs to hatch but the larva would need salt water to grow. And, yes, the larva will provide some nutrition, they are just too small to make much of a differance in a diet!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The coloration on that amano is absolutely gorgeous.
Ah thanks, its really interesting to me last night I had 1 that seemed nearly translucent very whitish clear. Another that turned very redish brown and then this female looked really green. I got them all at the same time and they all arrived the same color. Since then they all seem to be completely different colors.

Why do they always change their colors?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Ah thanks, its really interesting to me last night I had 1 that seemed nearly translucent very whitish clear. Another that turned very redish brown and then this female looked really green. I got them all at the same time and they all arrived the same color. Since then they all seem to be completely different colors.

Why do they always change their colors?
I'd really like to know this myself. I recently bought aprox. 10 amanos. They too all looked the same at the store, but in my tank, some look pretty much like your picture, others are a very dark red/brown color with a prominent white/tan stripe down the back and white/tan tips of the tail. My suspicion is that the ones that turn dark are not in fact amano shrimp, but this is based on nothing but speculation on my part.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found this.

I know its a different type of shrimp but honestly it makes sense. The shrimp that was dark redish brown was on my drift wood. This pregnant girl was in front of a bunch of plants. As for the translucent white guy... I guess either he just didn't care or he just hasn't mastered the ninja art of blending into his environment. Interesting reading none the less.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I suppose its possible that its just a natural adaptation, however, in my case, the shrimp are all in the same 10 gallon tank, and there is no driftwood to be found...

I found this.

I know its a different type of shrimp but honestly it makes sense. The shrimp that was dark redish brown was on my drift wood. This pregnant girl was in front of a bunch of plants. As for the translucent white guy... I guess either he just didn't care or he just hasn't mastered the ninja art of blending into his environment. Interesting reading none the less.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I just found this page with a picture of a "rainbow shrimp..."

http://www.fishpondinfo.com/shrimp2.htm#rain

This looks EXACTLY like what a number of what were sold to me as amano shrimp look like in my tank right now. Sigh.

EDIT: "Rainbow Shrimp" isn't even a real type of shrimp, its just a catch all used for multiple different kinds of unidentified shrimp. Makes me kinda mad as I paid for amano shrimp, not random other ones...

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
My endlers learned to swim underneath my pregnant amanos and eat the eggs off her. It was terrible to watch. The amano would freak out. And the endlers would just follow her around, picking at them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts